tetra shoal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suspectstew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, just looking for some views on tetras. Looking to stock a tank with them but should i go for one or two species? Looking at glowlight and/or black neons. Not a fan of cardinals/neons personally. Tank will be around 30g planted.

In a 30 gallon you could probably have 9-10 black neons and 8 glowlight tetras. Then you could do a school of cories at the bottom or a bristlenose pleco. Then, as a centerpiece fish you could have a dwarf gourami.

If there is one species you absolutely love, nothing beats a large school of them. For example, in a 30 gallon, I'd easily do a school of 20 neons, if you're adding other fish. If you're not adding other fish, do 30! That would really pop in a planted tank! :cool:

Two species of tetras is fine. You could even do three schools of 6-7 of them. I would recommend looking at bloodfin tetras. Little bigger than glow lights and they look nice and school together nicely.

If you're not stuck on the species you mentioned, also look into rummynose tetras, ember tetras, white cloud mountain minnows...... that would look amazing!

Not really stuck on species but would like to stick around the south american area. I was under the impression rummy nose tetras needed a larger tank than 30 gallon!? Really want to stick with the smallest tetras i can so some suggestions would be cool! I originally wanted to have a galaxy pearl danio species only tank but feel i should wait till i am ready to put more into breeding!

I originally had a 30 gallon with rummys in it. Now, I have over a dozen in my 46. They're average size tetras and don't need a huge tank.

If you want a huge shoal of schooling fish, google "nano fish FW". Then look at the "images" section. You should find the fish of your dreams. ;)

Back
Top Bottom