Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incogneto21

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm curious to know. Are all tetras fin nippers? If anyone can help me with a list of a few tetras that are community and not fin nippers, I would really appreciate it! Thanks! Oh and I have 7 guppies in my 29g. tank that's why I ask. :)

Rummy nose, ember, neon, cardinal, black neons, and glow lights are all tetras that aren't fin nippers. The rummy nose tetras school the best out of that group!!! I've never had ember tetras but I've heard they can be very beautiful fish once they are matured in a tank!!!

Most small tetras are peaceful in the right size school. I'd mostly just avoid serpaes and black skirts, as those have a reputation for being on the nippy side.

I like rummy nose tetras but they can be really delicate. Ruby red tetras would look great

They can be but once they settled in, they were actually quite hardy. But my experience may differ from others

They can be but once they settled in, they were actually quite hardy. But my experience may differ from others

Definitely agree here. Once past the first few weeks they seem to be very hardy.

Pristella Tetras also peaceful.

If you get pristellas get at least 6 of them because they will nip at your guppies tails. I've had personal experience with that. I only had 3 pristellas and 1 guppy and they ate his tail and killed him.

If you get pristellas get at least 6 of them because they will nip at your guppies tails. I've had personal experience with that. I only had 3 pristellas and 1 guppy and they ate his tail and killed him.

So the more tetras the lesser chance the guppies will get nipped?

So the more tetras the lesser chance the guppies will get nipped?

That goes for any school. The more the better because they feel more safe and they'll usually spread aggression and nipping throughout the group.

Not saying they won't nip at other fish. It just lessons the chance.

Back
Top Bottom