Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well im getting a 29 Gal tank and i am going to get neon tetras. I want to get about 15-20 and i was wondering how many i could add to the tank at once, like each week?

well onece the tank is cycled, I would say you could add them in 2 batches of 10 a week or so apart.

Neons are not real hardy. I would do the cycle with something else. Then put the Neons in.
Serpae Tetra's are hardy.
Any other fish you wish to have in this tank?

I also want tiger barbs, but im afraid of fin nipping lol thinking of getting 5 of um and maybe some glowlight tetras or something

I started cycling my tank with neon tetras and didnt lose a single one. And they survived through disasterously high ammonia and nitrite levels. Maybe I got really lucky.
If only I knew 2 months ago what I know now....

do a fishless cycle, theres lots of articles on how-to on this site. then you dont have to worry about killing anything, hardy or not.

thats what i was afraid of so i guess ill just get some other tetras or some rasboras or danios

I just found some very interesting tetras I had never seen before, they're called "jellybean tetras". They have a translucent green body with bright orange fins, with an elongated body shape. Very nice. So far they seem very adaptable...I recommend them. Rummynose are also very beautiful.

Rummy-nose tetras are a good choice. When the water has the correct conditions their heads are very red. If their heads ever turn pale you know there's a problem with the water or something else. They need to be in schools. I have three of them in a tank and they are doing fine. Also White cloud mountain minnows are a good choice. They are very hardy. I had them in a tank that was cycling with some lemon tetras and roxy barbs. All of the lemons and barbs got ick but none of the white clouds did. I guess they are very disease resistant. And they are very active and colorful schoolers.

Back
Top Bottom