tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what type of tetras will be good in 40g

• cardinal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • rummynose

• lemon

• emperor

• black phantom

• rosy

• Total voters
Any of these would be good, and it does not really matter that it is planted, because I think any tetra appreciates plant cover. Rosy (barbs?) are excellent hair algae eaters, if that makes a difference. IME black phantoms are not particularly good schoolers, and you do need to get many more females than males if you choose them. The males bicker quite a bit over the females, unless you get a really large group together.

In small groups they will injure each other, or at least mine did. When I had them I had 2 males and about 5 females in my 55 and the two males were constantly fighting, and the females schooled together elsewhere. Finally, as for the males, "there could be only one." :?

Don't know if this experience is typical or unusual, but there are many types of tetras that are not always the mild-mannered community dwellers they are often assumed to be. My beloved serpaes behave very much like tiger barbs, in fact.

does this go with all tetras

TankGirl
When I had them I had 2 males and about 5 females in my 55 and the two males were constantly fighting, and the females schooled together elsewhere. Finally, as for the males, "there could be only one."

No - you are not going to see this with neons, cardinals or probably rummynose, and probably more that I don't have experience with. With black phantoms the males and females look different, so it is easy to choose your group, so that makes it easy to control this kind of behavior. The problem was resolved for me with serpaes when I increased the group to more than 7 members, so you can apply this method to most any schooling fish, to allow them to establish a pecking order (tank space permitting).

my other article is " stocking order... etc." please look at it TankGirl! i would really appreciate it! thanks lots! Zillas wifie

Another Fine Tetra

While not one of those mentioned in the poll, I have been very fond of what is sometimes called the Columbian Red and Blue Tetra or Columbian Two-Line Tetra. The scientific name is Hyphessobrycon columbianus and they can get quite large as tetras go. The biggest one I have is almost two inches long. These fish are very active swimmers but don't school together. I've attached a picture in case you are interested.

Attachments

• dsc00185.jpg
    dsc00185.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 27
I voted for rummy-nose tetras cause they're really cool. they have a red head with a checkered tail. They get about 2 inchs long and in schools they are the coolest things to watch. Mine are awesome. I have them in a planted tank.

I've had bad experiences with lemon and rosy barbs- they both died really fast from ick. They seem to be very suseptible to it and white cloud mountain minnows (tetras) seem to be immune to ick....

Back
Top Bottom