tetras and ??? for new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cajungrl81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The fish for my new 30g should be able to start coming home soon, and I'm still having trouble deciding. I definitely want neon tetras, and may be adding corydoras and dwarf gourami down the road. My options are as follows:

a) just tetras
b) tetras and cherry barbs or harlequin rasbora
c) small schools of all three species

Which would you choose, and why?
:fish2:

The fish for my new 30g should be able to start coming home soon, and I'm still having trouble deciding. I definitely want neon tetras, and may be adding corydoras and dwarf gourami down the road. My options are as follows:

a) just tetras
b) tetras and cherry barbs or harlequin rasbora
c) small schools of all three species

Which would you choose, and why?
:fish2:

For tanks < 50 gallons, I usually prefer sticking to one or two mid-water schools. Having more tends to make the tank look too busy, plus it limits you to very small schools. Fish usually have more natural behaviors in the 8+ school size, so keeping two schools of 8 gives a much more natural display than three schools of 5. Having fewer schools also helps keep the tank from looking too chaotic.

Agreed. Along with the Neons, I'd choose Cherry Barbs. They don't form a tight school and tend to occupy the entire tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is it a heavily planted tank?

May the force be with you.

I'd do a school of 8 of both the neons and cherry barbs. Then add a small group of 4 juhlli cories or panda cories bc they stay smaller. As a centerpiece you could add a dwarf gourami last.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd do a school of 8 of both the neons and cherry barbs. Then add a small group of 4 juhlli cories or panda cories bc they stay smaller. As a centerpiece you could add a dwarf gourami last.

Then put a bunch of cherry shrimp too!!!

I'd say moderately planted, just fakes right now since I've had very little luck ever getting aquarium plants to grow...

Angels get to be around 6" at adult size and will eat small fish. Neons aren't a good choice, try Colombians, same general coloration but they get much bigger.

Is this tank going to be planted?

Edit: Sorry! Didn't read over some posts.

Since your tank is going to be somewhat planted, I recommend a school of Tetras or small Rainbowfish and a school of Rasboras. Then you could have a small group of Loaches (in my opinion, more energetic than Corydoras) with some shrimp.

Neons are one of the food sources for wild Angels. Cardinals look the same and will work so long as the angels are raised with them. Colombians can get a little fin nippy.

Angels get to be around 6" at adult size and will eat small fish. Neons aren't a good choice, try Colombians, same general coloration but they get much bigger.

If you start angelfish with neons at a small size most of the time it will work!!! There are tons of people on this forum who keep angelfish with neons!!

I take a different approach, do you want an Asian tank or South American?

I like to stick with species from the same parts of the world.

If it were me, I would do a South American tetra tank;
3-4 cory cats
12 cardinal or neon tetras
4-5 marble hatchets
2-3 bleeding hearts

That way they all have the same requirements concerning water conditions, lighting, etc. will all get along and the mix will fill all tank layers with activity.

I'm actually in the planning stages for when I get my 80 gallon out of storage to do a S. American tetra themed tank.
Take the above list and multiply by a factor of 4 and that is what I'm thinking of. :D

Back
Top Bottom