Tetras, corys, and shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcmakesiteasy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Title says it all. I currently have 5 Red eye tetras, 1 serpae tetra,and 3 Julil Corys (1 got stuck inside a shell and died). I want to add more to my tank and i have a liking to these small ghost or cherry shrimp. Do you think my tetras will try to eat the shrimp? Or if my cory's will have trouble sharing floor space with these shrimp?

How big is the tank? In my experience, red eye tetras are greedy eaters so I wouldn't add the shrimp. You could try to add amano shrimp or a larger species of glass shrimp.

Any shrimp should be fine. Neither the tetras or cories should even look twice at the shrimp.

One way you can try shrimp out is to go get a ghost shrimp and see how everyone co-exists. Is your tank planted? What size is the tank? If you do try shrimp you need to provide some hiding places and preferably some plants. Also remember shrimp and cory's will compete for the same food in the same area of the tank so you would need to be sure to feed enough for all. But everything really depends on the size of the tank you want to do this in.

I have a 10 gallon...and no i do not have any REAL plants. I have 5 fake ones though (i had some real ones, but they died..apparently they weren't true aquatic plants). I wouldn't say my tank has very many hiding spots..i have a lava rock in there and a skull decor thing where fish can go inside, but none of them ever do.

In a 10g with 3 Julii cory's it's going to be mighty tight for both shrimp and the cories to coexist in that space. Honestly I'd try 1 ghost shrimp and see how it does.

Back
Top Bottom