Tetras going nuts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samantha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just introduced six Neon Tetras to my 15 gallon Biorb 4 days ago.There was one fatality in the first 24hrs due to injury (before I got it) since then they have cohabited peacefully, schooling and independently.UNTIL this morning! They have all gone nuts, they are chasing each other relentlessly.There doesn't appear to be one individual to blame as a chased fish will hide then come out and chase.
What is this behaviour? They are only very small about 10-15mm, could they be ready to breed?.
All water parameters fine.They are so intent on chasing that they all but ignored their last feed.I am worried there will be injuries.

It's a tetra thing, You'll see them spar, start dancing together (shimmying side by side), It's typically male dominance, they are fighting for the right to be number 1, I find it funny that my congo's will do this even when there is no female in the tank.. Don't be too alarmed, I wouldn't be that alarmed about the fatality either, that's a neon thing, they are a very fragile fish.

My Lemon Tetras do this, too.......daily. I mostly notice it right after lights on in the morning.......after they all "wake up", the games begin. Lots of times I'll see it immediately after feeding time, too.

It's common for Tetra's to do this. Mine do it all the time. Especially my Serpae's. They're obsessed with chasing. (Maybe it keeps them fit, who knows lol) :mrgreen:

My Neon Tetras do the same thing. I think it cool for it adds a lot of movement to the tank.

It is very neat to watch. My white clouds will go next to each other and spread their fins straight up. In another tank, my Nannostomus beckfordi (pencilfish) will go side by side and shake their bodies. Very cool, but my other pencilfish (not yet identified) don't do this and I've had them for over a year.

Back
Top Bottom