Tetras schooling with cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojobo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I heard that pygmy cories school with certain other species like the Black neon tetra. That would be so cool to watch in my tank! Any one have experience with this?

One of the weirdest things I've ever seen was some small sterbais I got schooling with giant danios that were at least 5 times their size, WAY up off the substrate in a 150 gallon tank.

Haha, thats awesome. They do it for a long time, regularly?

My red tetras and corys will school together occasionally. But for the most part they prefer to school with their own kind.

a little off topic but funniest thing I have seen is I had a really small yellow lab and I put it in with my lemon tetras to grow a bit and he schooled with them. Made sense cause he was the same color. he has since been moved into a cichlid tank.

My diamond tetras will sometimes school closer to the bottom with my panda corys. :) I've heard of this phenomenon happening. It's pretty neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I never thought of the whole same color thing...
Originally I had a small 20 gallon tank with guppies but I aparently am guppy kryptonite and could never keep more then 4 alive. Eventually I was down to one guppy who is indestrustible so I dropped him into the bigger tank with the tetra and corys hoping he would be happier. It worked he schools with the tetra great and doesn't get bullied at all by the larger fish. Maybe it's due to the fact that he and the tetra are all red.

Corydoras and Tetras

I heard that pygmy cories school with certain other species like the Black neon tetra. That would be so cool to watch in my tank! Any one have experience with this?

Hello jo...

Interesting observation. This would be pretty amazing since Corys aren't schooling and Tetras are. Corys are shoaling fish which is very different than schooling fish.

Do the Corys match the movements of the Tetras at the same time?

B

Sorry, I actually had no clue. I just read the article and some forum posts.

The littlest hobos | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

"
Then there’s the interaction. C. hastatus, in particular (pictured above) is well noted for its commensalism involving species of similarly marked tetra. Indeed, finding the right species of tetra for a clutch of hastatus to shoal alongside has become something of a holy grail for those in the know."
Here's a picture:
dwarf cories and tetras schooling together - Aquarium Plants
img_3043341_0_577d6dc0d9fae408aad41cbf43d4f74f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom