Tetras vs Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mantis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have noticed at the fish stores that I visit that the names of fish aren't always acurate. My cardinal tetras (which I still have 3!) were also called something tipped Barb. So now, is there a main difference and can they both get along in a tank? I'm planning on putting honey and dwarf gouramis in ther but I'm not sure if this is the right mix............I may need another tank! Oh darn! Mantis

Mantis, The way I understand how LFS's lable things is like this.

They either get an order in and the fish are already labled on the bag from the supplier or one of the employees responsibilites is to ID the fish and mark them on the tank.

Logan can post more accurate given he works at a pet shop.

On the route with the gouramis. I was reading my newest issue of FAM and there was a letter written in about a tank where someone had put 6 different gouramis in a tank. All but two golden gouramis died over a period of a few months. The reason that was given was that gouramis are very territoral fish when it comes to their own kind. And that you should put at the most a pair of 1 specific type of gouramis in the tank.

So for you it would be either a pair of honey or a pair of dwarf gouramis.

I have dwarf blue and flame in my tank and they have been fine. I added both at the same time before one had a chance to estalish a territory and I think that helps.

Thank you. It looks like the tank will have a mix of barbs/tetras and 1 pair of honey dwarf gouramis. Thanks. Which mag is FAM and how do you get it? Mantis

barbs

Lots of times, the fish get put in the tanks and the labels don't get updated. Shouldn't be that way, but it happens.
Be careful what kind of barbs you put in with the tetras and gouramis. Some barbs are pretty bad fin nippers...tiger barbs among the worst. I keep them and they are really neat fish. They just need to be with something that is relatively robust and fast. Some other barbs will get very large also. They are usually offered for sale at a small size, but can get 5-6" long.
Logan J

mabie they have more than one type of fish in one tank. theres normally a picture on the fish id at the lfs.

This is a pretty old post that has been brought back so I'll add a comment about the gouramis. We keep all kinds of dwarf gouramis together with never a problem at the store. Perhaps they are not as territorial as the larger species. The lerger ones are kept in separate tanks. They seem to get along fine with any other kind of fish though.
Logan J

One additional note on Barbs here. I have a school of Cherry Barbs in my 90 gallon tank, they never nip fins, and I belive they are the most peacefull of all the Barbs. However, they are the smallest fish in the tank, no idea how they would do with neons, cardinals, or any fish smaller than them.

Way back when, I had a tank with 6 neon tetras, 6 black tetras, and 4 tiger barbs. I never had a problem with fin nipping. They were also very small, smaller than the tetras even I think.

Back
Top Bottom