Texas Holey rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drake

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know what kind of rock would be good for African cichlids? I already have 2 pieces of Texas Holey rock and I'm wondering what other kind of rock would be good. And I have heard that lava rock is good but I don't find it as attractive as Texas Holey rock.

Lava Rock Texas Holey Rock Lace Rock are all good...In my opinion lava rock is the best for the best price and i would probably go ahead aand get it.

JMHO

Next time read the whole thing...like when the part I said that lava rock isn't attractive.

I did read it all the first time..I would go ahead and buy lava rock even if u didnt think it was the prettiest..Personally it is my favorite of them all.

Ouch... attitude :?

I find that my taste in these things can change over time. I hated slate at first, and loved the look of THR. Nowadays, I'm quite fond of slate, and reserve THR for very particular circumstances, believing that it's more of a specialty look--one that doesn't go well in a lot of tanks.

Give it some time and you may like the lava rock... Until then, consider slate stacked to create apertures for territories. Also, (fossilized) coral arches can sometimes make an interesting addition to African Cichlid tanks. These will add to the buffering capacity of your tank and raise the pH, so they're ideal for African cichlids. I'm a big fan of slate in cichlid tanks, as it's a really cheap and easily-moved way of creating territories. It does not, however, raise pH, if that's what you're looking for.

I like petrified coral, like Jon mentions above, and I got some for cheap from a SW LFS that ships it in to make live rock. I also use lace rock for my African tanks. Limestone is good, get it from a quarry or landscape/garden supply store.

I use to use lace rock and tuffa. The tuffa is inexpensive and will help with the PH as well.

I have never seen mine rub against the rocks. MIne have an odd behavior where they rub/twist against the bottom substrate.

Back
Top Bottom