Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
waynephinney

That was a tough decision

So, my pet store FINALLY got some iridescent sharks in. I really regretted only getting one originally, because the other one seems so lonely. So I see them and I'm exstatic. Then I notice that the bigger one I'm looking at has a tear in his tailfin. "WTF?" I said to myself. Then upon closer inspection, they all had tears in various fins. One of them barely had any fins at all. Combine that with the red sores they had where their fins were attached to their body, and I knew I couldn't bring one home.

I should have gotten one at the other pet store when I was there that day. ****** all to hell!

I just don't want my iridescent to be lonely, but I'd rather he be lonely than have a tank full of sick fish, because I can't imagine that's from fish biting one another. That had to be some sort of disease.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Personally, given the load on the tank, I wouldn't recommend adding any ID sharks, or others of the ilk.

between the bala's and ID shark you have about 78" of fish, and that's not including the other redtails.

If you had have picked them up you would have stood a good chance of poluting your tank to the point that all the fish get sick and die.

Sad to hear the pet store can't keep fin rot at bay.

Old 01-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Wizzard. It's a good thing that you didn't get the shark. The tank is still cycling and does not need any additional bioload. In fact, it could use a HUGE reduction. Have you purchased the test kit yet?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:06 AM   #4
waynephinney

I intend to place an order for it tomorrow.

I wish they had two iridescents in the first place... mine is so lonely.

And they got two young arowanas in. They sold the 14 inch long one last week, but it was neat to see two only about 3-4 inches long.

If they weren't so expensive and I wasn't such a fishy novice, I would have gotten them (for another tank of course).
Old 01-22-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
You do realize you will have to do 1-2 water changes a day to keep those fish alive..

I'll avoid this thread, I don't really care to know what is in store for those fish.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Why so many fish for a 29G. And bigger fish at that? I know I overstock my tanks, but not that much. Got to look at where you will be standing in 6-12 months from now, when a lot of the fish will double their size, if their growing and health aren't stunted. You need another tank as it is, and a bigger one. And Wizzard is correct, you will be doing a tremendous amount of water changes. Also remember, stunted growth will shorten the fishes lifespan.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you performing the daily water changes and testing the water? Arowana's do NOT belong in home aquaria unless in VERY large tanks. Many sharks also do not belong in home aquaria either unless housed in large tanks. You do realize what you're getting yourself AND your fish into, correct? It would be a shame that they would lose their life due to ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

For the record, this is the third thread regarding the same subject submitted by the OP. Again, I will stress that we not engage in any inflammatory or personal attacks or this thread will be locked as was done with the other two.

Thank you.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm beginning to wonder if this is all tongue-in-cheek. A severely overstocked tank plus plans to buy more; painted fish, red sharks, and arowanas; opposition to water changes....and a folksy, naive persona and cartoon. Not saying it is a joke, but it sure would be a good joke for someone who wanted to stir up some feathers here. Admin edit
fearlessfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfisch
I'm beginning to wonder if this is all tongue-in-cheek. A severely overstocked tank plus plans to buy more; painted fish, red sharks, and arowanas; opposition to water changes....and a folksy, naive persona and cartoon. Not saying it is a joke, but it sure would be a good joke for someone who wanted to stir up some feathers here. Admin Edit
I think the point has been made. No need to get personal....

The best thing for your fish is to return most of them. Research the species you currently own. Then you will see that it is impossible to provide healthy enviroments for all of them. That's all that needs to be said here.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com