That was a tough decision

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

waynephinney

So, my pet store FINALLY got some iridescent sharks in. I really regretted only getting one originally, because the other one seems so lonely. So I see them and I'm exstatic. Then I notice that the bigger one I'm looking at has a tear in his tailfin. "WTF?" I said to myself. Then upon closer inspection, they all had tears in various fins. One of them barely had any fins at all. Combine that with the red sores they had where their fins were attached to their body, and I knew I couldn't bring one home.

I should have gotten one at the other pet store when I was there that day. Dammit all to hell!

I just don't want my iridescent to be lonely, but I'd rather he be lonely than have a tank full of sick fish, because I can't imagine that's from fish biting one another. That had to be some sort of disease.

Personally, given the load on the tank, I wouldn't recommend adding any ID sharks, or others of the ilk.

between the bala's and ID shark you have about 78" of fish, and that's not including the other redtails.

If you had have picked them up you would have stood a good chance of poluting your tank to the point that all the fish get sick and die.

Sad to hear the pet store can't keep fin rot at bay.

I agree with Wizzard. It's a good thing that you didn't get the shark. The tank is still cycling and does not need any additional bioload. In fact, it could use a HUGE reduction. Have you purchased the test kit yet?

I intend to place an order for it tomorrow.

I wish they had two iridescents in the first place... mine is so lonely.

And they got two young arowanas in. They sold the 14 inch long one last week, but it was neat to see two only about 3-4 inches long.

If they weren't so expensive and I wasn't such a fishy novice, I would have gotten them (for another tank of course).

You do realize you will have to do 1-2 water changes a day to keep those fish alive..

I'll avoid this thread, I don't really care to know what is in store for those fish.

Why so many fish for a 29G. And bigger fish at that? I know I overstock my tanks, but not that much. Got to look at where you will be standing in 6-12 months from now, when a lot of the fish will double their size, if their growing and health aren't stunted. You need another tank as it is, and a bigger one. And Wizzard is correct, you will be doing a tremendous amount of water changes. Also remember, stunted growth will shorten the fishes lifespan.

Are you performing the daily water changes and testing the water? Arowana's do NOT belong in home aquaria unless in VERY large tanks. Many sharks also do not belong in home aquaria either unless housed in large tanks. You do realize what you're getting yourself AND your fish into, correct? It would be a shame that they would lose their life due to ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

For the record, this is the third thread regarding the same subject submitted by the OP. Again, I will stress that we not engage in any inflammatory or personal attacks or this thread will be locked as was done with the other two.

Thank you.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is all tongue-in-cheek. A severely overstocked tank plus plans to buy more; painted fish, red sharks, and arowanas; opposition to water changes....and a folksy, naive persona and cartoon. Not saying it is a joke, but it sure would be a good joke for someone who wanted to stir up some feathers here. Admin edit

fearlessfisch said:
I'm beginning to wonder if this is all tongue-in-cheek. A severely overstocked tank plus plans to buy more; painted fish, red sharks, and arowanas; opposition to water changes....and a folksy, naive persona and cartoon. Not saying it is a joke, but it sure would be a good joke for someone who wanted to stir up some feathers here. Admin Edit

I think the point has been made. No need to get personal....

The best thing for your fish is to return most of them. Research the species you currently own. Then you will see that it is impossible to provide healthy enviroments for all of them. That's all that needs to be said here.

It was just a possibility that crossed my mind briefly. People play on internet boards all the time. But you are right; I should not have posted it.

Wayne, I apologize. If you are serious about fishkeeping, I hope you will return a lot of your fish and also get that second tank you were talking about on the other board--not for new fish, but for some of the fish you already have. They deserve an environment in which they can thrive, not just survive.

Fearlesfisch, GOing forward please use the report link when you feel someone is simply trolling. We dont take favor to those types and quickly dispacth them for other waters.

All the staff here are on high alert and we wont permit the site to become a joke of any type.

Wayne my advice would be to contract MTS and get more larger tanks and distribute the fish between them. Once MTS sets in, it quickly takes over, and if you love fish you will love more tanks with fish! :lol:

Not a problem, Jchillin. Just wanted to bring up valid points, and no flaming or personal attacks intended.

But I do want to bring another thing up. This kind of happened to me as well, when I first got my 26G bowfront, and I got 2 fire eels and my bala shark, as well as the 2 rainbow sharks. But the reason it didn't get out of hand was because I did bring out that I did have plans of upgrading, so to speak. When my eels got to 7 and 8 inches, I purchased the 55G, as per my plan. And now within the next 6 months, will be getting a 180G for them, their ultimate home. And currently working on setting up a planted tank as well, for the Rams. But here's my question. Are there any plans of upgrading? The reason I brought up my points is because it sounds like they are staying in a small tank indefinitely. But if not, then maybe we are all in the wrong? Just curious as to what your plans are in the near future. Thanks....

You do realize you will have to do 1-2 water changes a day to keep those fish alive..

I haven't done any water changes in a week, and not only have none of my fish died, but none of them are showing any of the common symptoms of stress or illness that I've read about on these forums.

If they weren't so expensive and I wasn't such a fishy novice, I would have gotten them (for another tank of course).

I have said numerous times that not only have I recently required another tank that will be set up when needed, but that I intend to get a larger tank down the road. I know how big iridescents can get. I know how big balas can get. I know how big all of these fish will get. I WILL UPGRADE THE TANK! Now would you all just friggen drop it.

waynephinney said:
I have said numerous times that not only have I recently required another tank that will be set up when needed, but that I intend to get a larger tank down the road. I know how big iridescents can get. I know how big balas can get. I know how big all of these fish will get. I WILL UPGRADE THE TANK! Now would you all just friggen drop it.

Not a problem here. Thanks for clearing it up for me anyways. I agree, it shouldn't go any further from here, as I now know I was completely in the wrong for thinking it was a small tank indefinitely. Good luck with your fish, and your upgrades. MTS is a wonderful thing, and I always enjoy adding a new tank. Thanks again for clearing it up for me. (y)

Sorry if I came off a little strong. I'm just tired of people constantly telling me these fish are going to grow, as if I don't already know that. I'm also tired of telling people I'm going to get a bigger tank as the fish grow. I'm also tired of being told that my tank is overstocked. I already know this.

It's nothing personal. I'm just getting extremely frustrated and I don't feel very welcome here.

wow--this is all getting very out of hand. i know that i haven't been a member for that long, but i can only think of one other occasion where things repeatedly kept getting this heated.

people--why are you rising to the bait? wayne is not asking questions--he's pushing buttons--and you're letting him.

wayne--do you have questions? or want to start serious dialogues? that's what this forum is about. i try to believe the best about people, and i choose to believe that you are serious about your fish and thir health--and i believe that you have plans to move your fish to a larger tank.

but while it's fun to debate--it's NOT fun to argue.

we're all VERY passionate about this hobby, and only want the best for our fish and our tanks. let's keep to the spirit of this site, which is why i love it, and focus on educating ourselves and others about the hobby and supporting people when they make mistakes, and helping people to avoid mistakes. in other words--the marquis of queensbury rules--keep it clean! keep it constructive. and if you get pissed off, walk away.

i've said my piece. i personally think this thread should be locked (but not because i want to have the last word ;))

I think it's about enough of the advice or not exchange. If you have something relevent to the thread topic please add it in a polite fashion, if not, move on. The thread will be locked otherwise.

waynephinney, I have sent you a PM, please check your in box.

Regards
Steve

waynephinney said:
It's nothing personal. I'm just getting extremely frustrated and I don't feel very welcome here.

Oh, you are very welcome here. And you completely cleared up what was foggy in my mind. As stated earlier by another member, we are all here to share out knowlege and experiences with others. And you are more than welcome here. That kind of happened to me as well, until I brought out that I had plans of upgrading. Most everyone thought I was nuts just staying with the 26G, 2 fire eels, and 3 sharks, and more, and I felt in the same position you are now. But that's all in the past now, and we should be looking forward from here now. Thanks again for clearing things up for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom