thats not your tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinky

Aquarium Advice Regular
i walked into my room yesterday to find my rat snake had escaped. franticly i searched the area, because if my step-dad found him before i did, things would have gotten ugly real fast.

where did i find him? 3 feet from his tank in my 10 gallon aquarium :lol:

but it could have been worse and all my fish are still there. his tank has also been secured with the help of several text books.

so what unexpected thing have you guys found in your tanks?

i found a cory cat fry in my 10 gallon uncycled aquarium with no fish in it, which also had 3 times the amount of salt that should have been added in the tank (i was trying to kill snails)

It seemed whenever I had a tank setup it would turn into a roach motel. Never had problems with roaches, but probably once or twice a month would find one of the little rascals floating in the tank. Didn't know if there where interested in the water or what. To bad never had any oscars or big fish I wouldn't of needed to pull them out.

When I set up my 55G, I moved a piece of driftwood to it. Since I was doing a fishless cycle, and the ammonia was at 5ppm, 5 minutes later I saw a yoyo swimming around, lol. Had to chase him down and move him back to the 26G. Thought I looked the driftwood over well enough. But some of the holes are just so deep in the driftwood. ;)

i found a malasian (sp?) trumpet snail in my tank (i think, it has the cone shape twisted shell) the other day. I have never bought snails, they hitch hike on my plants. That is why i have a clown loach, but she is not doing her job right now :D

A sick note, Roaches can survive as long as there is a moisture source, they survive by eating each other!!!! Their reproductive rate is so high it allows them to do this without putting a dent in their numbers. Sick Sick Sick. Good thing people don't do that ewwwwwww.

I found a ladybug floating around in my 75g once lol. Also one day one of my hatchets trying to eat a black object. On closer inspection I realized that it was the head of black ant! The hatchet couldn't eat it though because it was too big.

Speaking of bugs, I found two dragonfly nymphs in my 75g two or three months ago. They were evil looking and I'm glad I got them out.

My husband found a big white feather floating in the tank-he thought it was a fish corpse. Paused the movie we were watching and RAN over there--

We have no birds or feather pillows or down anything...where'd THAT come from???

being a science teacher with a tank in my classroom i could give a whole list of strange things found floating in my tank (put there by students no doubt). chewing gum, doritoes, color pencils, balloons, a mouse (my mice had babies and i found one doing the doggy paddle in my tank), ...

Today my ferret got out while I wasnt here and went for a swim. In the process, the little guy knocked over 3 cans of soda on my desk all over my keyboard, mouse and floor too. We have a food dish that clips onto the side of the cage with a tray from them to eat out of, and then its also got a "holding tank" for extra food that sits on the outside. Apparently I didnt secure the top on the food tank well enough, little guy dug the food out, climed out his fopod dish and went for a swim.

Damn curious critters.

Just goes to show you that all the crazy stuff that ends up in our tanks doesn't always come from the pet store! :)

My tanks are in my bedroom, which is in the basement. About a month ago, after returning from a visit to my boyfriend's brother and sister-in-law for the weekend, I found what looked like a giant spider dead in the bottom of my tank. The water also looked awful so I knew my dad had not actually listened to me when I said that the fish would be perfectly fine unsupervised for the weekend and had dumped in a lot of food. I figured the spider had been attracted to the light, fallen in and drowned. It was a wolf spider and I know they are relatively harmless, but I freaked out and cleaned the ENTIRE basement anyway, just to be safe, and spent the next week getting my params back in order with PWCs.

Last week while I was outside doing some yard work, my dad said something about all the wolf spiders that have taken up residence in the rocks we have around all the flower beds and told me to catch them and feed them to my fish. I blinked a few times and asked him why in the world would I want to catch spiders for my fish when there is a ready supply of earthworms, especially since I have no idea if they could bite the fish or end up being poisonous. He replied that my fish (the African butterfly fish) had attacked and eaten the spider he had dropped into the tank when I wasn't home. I was horrified and told him that no, the fish had not eaten the spider since I had to fish it out when I got home and that it will 'attack' anything that gets dropped into the tank in front of it if it's hungry, whether or not it's food. I asked him why he was even doing anything with the fish since I have the lighting on timers and they can all live just fine for a weekend without being fed. We ended up having a conversation about how delicate of a balance an aquarium is with pH and the nitrogen cycle and everything and why it is not a good idea to add random things, or lots of food, to fish tanks.

What is with dads? When I was a teen I came home to have a look at my lizards and there was a sparrow flying back and forth in the cage. It had hit a window and was unconscious, so Dad put it in there for me to take nurse back to health when I got home....

the oddest thing I have evr found in a tank would be..........prolly baout 3 years ago I had another 29 gallon setup and found a lebo boat one of my friends made and pout in there, kinda cool actually lol

Back
Top Bottom