The Angel has to move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Our Africans have been spitting fry like crazy but we just haven't had the time to remove the mothers before they release so we've just left them in the tank. Basically survival of the fittest. Right now we have a Cobalt that is about 2 inches long. He's been doing fantastic in the tank with the others but yesterday I noticed that he's being picked on by the larger fish. Time to remove him from the tank and put him in the 29 for a while. It saddens me because we will have to move my prized Angel to the 55. She has very long fins and is absolutely gorgeous. I'm concerned about what the other Angels are going to do to her. :( I guess I have to just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

We have two 10 gal tanks that are empty but I think they are way too small for Africans. Even fry. We put fry in the 29 gal tank. The Angel was put in the 29 when we sold the fry so we could keep the bacteria going and whatnot.

Sorry to say you'll need to do more than cross your fingers. :( I faced the same issue recently when I needed to re-introduce my angel that was in the 30g by herself with one of the mated angels in the 75g. (One of them passed on, she was very lonely and depressed).

I re-arranged all of the plants in the tank and did the re-introduction after lights out on both tanks. I then watched for awhile to see what happen. Fortunately and for some unknown reason, they reaquainted with each other and no issues for the past two months.

Since you have more than one, it could be a very different story.

I think I'll do the intrudction after lights out too. That way they can get aquainted. The Serpae's don't bother the current angels, but I'm afraid they will be too tempted with the new angels fins. She's bigger than the rest of the fish in the tank, but I don't know if that will help or hurt her.

Since she is bigger, you may be all right. Especially if the others haven't formed anykind of bonds yet. I will have my fingers crossed for her.

when u introduce her/him, do a PWC and turn out the lights, move the scaping around, and of any fixtures a bit, the PWC will change the electrolight count, while moving everything makes the tank seem different, and will mess everyone up(not in a bad way, more like confuse your fish already in the tank), this being done introducing your new fish will make it like everyone is being introduced to new surroundings. Moving everything around will make the fish lose a sense of there territory, and thus make the intoduction a bit more tolerable.

Moving everything around will make the fish lose a sense of there territory, and thus make the intoduction a bit more tolerable.

Unfortunately onah, Angels, especially adult angels and those that have paired up do not have any "territories". They "own" the entire tank. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I was only re-introducing one. FF has a bit more of a challenge. This is one of the unique facets of Angel keeping; knowing full well that one single fish can claim an entire tank. :)

I don't know if they have "paired up" yet. There are four in the tank and one really owns it. :) One normally gets chased around, and the other two just kind of lollygag. We are going to do the transformation either tonight or tomorrow night. Might be tomorrow since we are both pretty tired.

Good luck FF, I hope it goes well. Might have to get a used tank that is bigger for your angel. What about a pic? She sounds gorgeous.

This one was taken 4 months ago about two weeks after we got her. Her fins have gotten longer. Hmmm, maybe time to take some more pics. :)

angel4_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom