The Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there, in my 38 gallon aquarium I currently have:

1 large blue gourami
2 green swordtails
7 cherry barbs
4 otocinclus
3 yo-yo loaches
1 clown pleco

This tank has been wonderful, very peaceful and fun to watch. The blue gourami has been aggressive at times, but now that it seems everyone knows he is the boss, there is no more aggression between anyone. My question is that I have always wanted to have tiger barbs, and now that I am down to only 2 green swordtails, I was considering giving the green swordtails to a friend and getting a small group of tiger barbs, perhaps 7.

The cherry barbs shouldn't be a problem, they are usually in the same sale tanks at the LFS. I know the yo-yo loaches won't be a problem, NOBODY messes with them, and they don't mess with anybody. I can't imagine the pleco being a problem either. My question is for the oto's and the gourami. I know that tiger barbs have a reputation of being semi-aggressive and being fin-nippers...will they bother my oto's? And will they bother the gourami? The cherry barbs went right in without any problems about 6 months ago as my last addition.

The gourami has been able to hold his own and is definitely the "boss" of the tank, but I don't know how my gourami and the tiger barbs will get along. I have grown this blue gourami from a tiny little guy up to about 5" now, with a beautiful blue glow to him, and I don't want to risk him by putting in a bunch of little pirahna barbs if he can't handle it. Any thoughts? :)

Paul

I think 7 tiger barbs is going to really overstock the tank, especially considering how large they get, even without the two swords. I think the tank is well stocked as it is and if you want tiger barbs then I'd trade in the cherries in a tank that size, rather than try to keep two schools of barbs. I think in a 55 you could make this work, however.

i agree with tankgirl, but tiger barbs become less aggressive the more you have in the school, if you had 3 they would torture the whole tank, but if you had 13 of them then they would almost be docile because their instincts of chasing and nipping will only stay within the school

I agree with the other advice given here. My experience with TBs is you need at least 10 to 12 for a well adjusted school. I have 8 striped, 2 albino and 2 green. The 2 albinos and 2 greens still tend to bother each other. Below 8 or 10 they tend to nip other fish in the tank, especially long finned or slower fish. My 12 TBs do not bother my gouramis. I have 4 in a 65 gallon tank. The TBs did bother other fish until I increased the count to 12.

Back
Top Bottom