The battles are won; the war totally and completely lost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffikeagan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a cat. She likes drinking water from every source except her water bowl.

*aside* you know where this is going now, right?

She now officially prefers water from my tanks than from her bowl. Whoda thunk too? Of course she prefers water that smells a bit fishy and tastes a bit like fish food.

Sigh...

She was limiting it to my 14. Any time the lid is up/off. Now she has realized my 6.5 has good water too.

Sigh...

I hope a bit of cat slobber won't kill the fish. :rolleyes:

I like the spray bottle method. When my cat does something, especially when it comes to being around the fish tank, I spray water at him. Now, I don't actually have to spray him directly. I pretty much just have to use the spray bottle in the same room and he runs. It works well to train him to leave the fish tank alone!

I like the spray bottle method. When my cat does something, especially when it comes to being around the fish tank, I spray water at him. Now, I don't actually have to spray him directly. I pretty much just have to use the spray bottle in the same room and he runs. It works well to train him to leave the fish tank alone!

I have used this method as well, mainly for cats getting on countertops in the kitchen. I had one cat that was especially stubborn about it and I added a couple of tsp of vinegar to the water bottle. That got his attention and he stopped doing it.

My cats are SO annoying when I clean my tanks. They have to investigate everything I set on the floor and usually that includes licking it. They seem to really like licking algae. Gross... They sit for hours staring into my FB newt/toad tanks. Its really cute.

I guess im lucky cause my cat couldnt care any less about my 29 than she does about the tv. When a tank is lower to the ground or somthing (like I had one on a coffee table once) she would get up on it and lay next to it but never did any harm like drinking out of it.

I've used the spray bottle method before, unfortunately they are a lot more determined than I am. When I get sick of spraying, they happily resume their habits. At one point I was using a spray bottle for scratching the post of the couch. So what did the one do? She walked around to the backside of the couch and would continue to scratch. I'd be chasing her doing 360s around the couch. I figured a couch worth $100 wasn't worth the aggro.

I actually got a tank originally because I was moving into a much smaller place with no enclosed balcony. I figured they'd like watching the fish.

yea, now I'm hooked, and they want my attention back!

Perhaps you could make the cat's water bowl more enticing so that they drink from it instead of the aquarium. I've heard that many cats really like those water fountain drink bowls.

we have a kitten that is a few months old. She loves to jump on top of my 75gal and stand on the class cover and look down at the malawi's I have in there...almost as big as she is. She acts like he wants them, but I don't think she'd know what to do with one if she got it.

I have PorkCop on top of the entertainment center and Rufus LOVES standing on his back legs with his paws as high as he can reach and just stare at PorkCop for the longest. He also likes to sit on the counter by my koi and just watch. Every once in a while he'll tenderly put his paw on the glass just to say Hi.

we have a kitten that is a few months old. She loves to jump on top of my 75gal and stand on the class cover and look down at the malawi's I have in there...almost as big as she is. She acts like he wants them, but I don't think she'd know what to do with one if she got it.

I just saw the Dark Knight for the second time last night and that reminds me of the part where Joker is telling Two Face the dog-chasing-the-car analogy.... this completely has something to do with this topic i know....

My cat always drank from my 10 gal and she taught her kitten how to and then I would end up chasing 2 black cats off the table to no avail. Stubborn... it finally got to the point where it was time for serious action when they discovered there were fish in the tank too :rolleyes:

it finally got to the point where it was time for serious action when they discovered there were fish in the tank too :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure mine was about 30 seconds from that revelation last night as I saw that intense look creep onto her face as the paw started coming off the edge of the tank and heading toward the water.

We had cats (no fish tanks though) when I was younger and Keisha would sit in the mist and clean herself.. so spray bottle never worked at my house this was the same cat that jumped in the shower with me everytime I turned it on though and drank from the sink if she didn't bathe in that...
my 130lb dog however IS interested in what is swimming in my tanks.., not good he'd knockem all over for sure....

my 130lb dog however IS interested in what is swimming in my tanks.., not good he'd knockem all over for sure....

What kind of dog? My parents used to have a ~120 lb. Alaskan Malamute, whose mother (supposedly) had been close to 140 lbs. Alas, when they moved from the countryside to downtown Chicago they had to give the dog away to friends. I was 2 years old at the time, so I don't have any memories of the dog, but certainly have seen pictures. BIG dog, little me! :p

My two cats are retarded. They have no interested in the tanks at all. Thats fine by me.

I just saw the Dark Knight for the second time last night and that reminds me of the part where Joker is telling Two Face the dog-chasing-the-car analogy.... this completely has something to do with this topic i know....

My cat always drank from my 10 gal and she taught her kitten how to and then I would end up chasing 2 black cats off the table to no avail. Stubborn... it finally got to the point where it was time for serious action when they discovered there were fish in the tank too :rolleyes:

Actually, I think I watched the dark night the day before I wrote that. I suppose the quote got stuck in my head. haha

Actually, I think I watched the dark night the day before I wrote that. I suppose the quote got stuck in my head. haha

I have only seen it twice so far... my oldest brother has seen it four time and he just went to San Francisco and got to see it in iMax. I feel cheated.

My cat doesn't care bout the fish inside my tank shes just interested in the tank itself. She is constantly head butting the glass for reasons unknown to me. She can just sit there for hours banging her head and rubbing her neck against the glass. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom