The Betta Project is starting :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yay! Ive been waiting forever! This has taken me a bit to plan out.

So, I'm gonna start with only two 2.5 gallon tanks. Each has a male Betta. Sponge filter. Light. Price if driftwood, with Java Moss growing on it. And a very Ghost or Cherry Shrimp, which i can hopefully start to breed soon. They sell really, really well in my area. Like, i can get $3-4 for one shrimp at my LFS. And i know Cherries breed quick.

So, just ordered the filters. I have the Java Moss in my 10 gallon with the first male Betta. I have the driftwood.

All i need is to wait for the sponges to come in, start seeding them in a different tank, and then set up the tanks!

So I'm looking for suggestions as to what kinds of Betta i should get! Im ok with ordering online for this, as long as its not too much for one fish including shipping. I will start out with two 2.5 gallons but i can hold more Bettas if i want to, i have space in other tanks, buckets, etc.

So yeah, if you know of a cool variety of Betta that i should get, or a high-quality breeder, or you sell some really cool ones yourself, let me know! Pictures, websites, etc. are all appreciated!

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

King male, crown tail male, dragon, dumbo, elephant ear are all bettas that I think look awesome. Cool project! Are you trying to get them to breed or just keeping them for the fun of it?

Well, for the fun of it for now. I do really want to breed them, but thats months away... But, my list of priorities is ever changing, so who knows!!

Things i plan on doing first:

-breed Red Cherry Shrimp, sell
-breed Guppies, sell offspring
-get my Texas Cichlids breeding, its up to them at this point, sell the babies
-set up all the Betta tanks
-set up a 29 gallon FOWLR

And then some lower priority ideas:

-breed Bettas
-upgrade Gecko enclosure
-terrestrial Bichir habitat

So yeah, lot of stuff to do before i get to breeding these Bettas, a good few months away...

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I'm currently in Taiwan (island off China) right now and they have the cheapest selection of bettas I have ever seen! They sell a regular Betta for less than a buck and a crown tail for a buck and twenty five cents! I saw this half moon elephant ear (blue and orange) for only three dollars! I saw one for fifteen dollars that looked like thisImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441261586.902965.jpg.

I'm pretty sure that if you put a Betta with RCS they might get eaten. Depending on the betta's personality. Recommend Amano shrimp over RCS but Amanos won't breed in freshwater. Another thing, I caught Wild Amano shrimp in Taiwan!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I really like the half-moon mustard gas bettas. I had ghost shrimp in with bettas and they terrorized the shrimp and eventually ate them. These were imported bettas from Asia which are supposedly more aggressive. Guess you'll have to experiment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm currently in Taiwan (island off China) right now and they have the cheapest selection of bettas I have ever seen! They sell a regular Betta for less than a buck and a crown tail for a buck and twenty five cents! I saw this half moon elephant ear (blue and orange) for only three dollars! I saw one for fifteen dollars that looked like thisView attachment 277356.

I'm pretty sure that if you put a Betta with RCS they might get eaten. Depending on the betta's personality. Recommend Amano shrimp over RCS but Amanos won't breed in freshwater. Another thing, I caught Wild Amano shrimp in Taiwan!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Wow! If you could ship fish over here i would actually be interested in that, if not thats ok too... It might be awile before i could get a decent nuber of them but... Meh, PM me if that interests you at all :)

I know about the RCS but i hoping they will be ok. And i will put them in a 10 gallon by themselves to start, then add some into the Betta tanks as clean-up.

Thanks for all the suggestions they look great!

I've gotten fish from Thailand. You have to go through a licensed transhipper. They get the fish at the airport after they've been inspected and then they ship the fish to you. It's not cheap. I did it for 4 bettas. Never did breed them after all that. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some bettas are fine with shrimp but even so that's just the adults, shrimplets will most likely get eaten.

Some bettas are fine with shrimp but even so that's just the adults, shrimplets will most likely get eaten.

Yeah...

Sorry for the lack of response, but i was camping! And of course, no internet ?

I found amazing marvel beta (the beta that changes colours) £150 lol look on aquabid

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thats cool. I believe those are referred to, at least at my LFS, as Koi Bettas. They are quite pretty!

Any more suggestions? Im loving all the pretty fish :)

They have to have "marble gene" which you won't tell if they got only if you see them changing colours other Than that they are on aquabid but expensive

They have to have "marble gene" which you won't tell if they got only if you see them changing colours other Than that they are on aquabid but expensive

Oh. So not the Koi Betta.

Wow, they are nice! Price is an issue, but its on the list of possible choices. Keep 'em coming :)

I personally love any CT or crossbreed of CT either way they are one of the most far beautiful fresh water fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom