The Big Move... Lots of pics, beware of load time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally made the big move. I did a PWC and moved the fish to their new home. Here's the new setups:

55G: 2 Fire Eels, 1 Bala Shark, 1 Rainbow Shark, 1 Albino Rainbow Shark, 2 CAE's, 2 Dojo Loaches (1 is Golden), 2 Yoyo's, 2 Striped Loaches, 2 Skunk Loaches, 6 Small Tiger Barbs.

26G: 12 Small Neons, 5 Hengeli Rasboras, 2 Fire Red Dwarf Gouramis

20G: QT

Here are some pics.

Pic 1:
Bala Shark in far corner, 1 Fire Eel poking his head out of the pool filter sand next to white quartz, Albino Rainbow Shark by hollow log on left.

newsetup1.jpg

Pic 2:
Bala Shark and Golden Dojo Loach by the hollow log, the other Fire Eel poking his head out of the rock house on left.
newsetup2.jpg

Pic 3:
Bala Shark again by hollow log.
newsetup3.jpg

Pic 4:
Not a good pic. Fire eel poking head out of PFS by white quartz, also Striped Loach nearby, and Tiger Barbs in background.

newsetup4.jpg

Pic 5:
Bala Shark and Albino Rainbow Shark. Fire Eel sticking his head out of the rock house entrance, Tiger Barbs and Skunk Loach on upper left.

newsetup5.jpg

Pic 6:
Fire Eel

newsetup6.jpg

26G New Setup

Pic 7:
Fire Red Dwarf Gourami

newsetup7.jpg

Pic 8:
Bolivian Ram

newsetup8.jpg

Pic 9:
Bolivian Ram

newsetup9.jpg

Pic 10:
Bolivian Ram

newsetup10.jpg

Pic 11:
Fire Red Dwarf Gourami

newsetup11.jpg

First batch about 4 minutes, then the second batch about 3 minutes. Eels, striped loaches, and yoyo were easy. Any sign of danger, the loaches joined the fire eels inside the fake rock structure, lol. I didn't want to move the striped loaches, but couldn't get them out of the rock structure, lol. But that's ok.

I got 2 of the CAE's over there. They were the toughest to catch. Couldn't catch the 3rd. So I'll just leave it as 2 in each.

The rainbow shark was tough too. But the bala and albino rainbow were easy, like they wanted to go, lol.

They must be having server problems at where I have my server space. So if you have problems viewing, check back later. I can't even log into my account to reupload the pictures. I made them a little smaller, for a little quicker viewing. Will upload them when I can log in.

Whoo hoo, looking very good! Congrats and kudos, you have been patient and waited a long time to do it right!

Interesting in my small tank. The Bolivian Ram doesn't like the Fire Red Gouramis too much. Also, the Bolivian Ram tries to peck at the CAE, and the CAE turns around and chases him around. Pretty weird.

rich, you should have seen the bala when I transferred him. I put about 3 inches of water in the bottom of a 5G bucket, and put him in with the dojo's. I carried him over to the big tank, and was ready to pour some water from the new tank in to acclimate them. He took a leap. If it wasn't for hitting the rim of the bucket on the way up, he would have launched himself out of the bucket, lol. Such burst of speed he had. Went about 6-8 inches above the top of the bucket and back in.

you should get another couple of balas to keep your other guy happy, now you've got the room. yoyos too :D

Not sure I want more balas, as he's about 6 inches and the lfs has only small ones, 2 1/2-3 inches. As for yoyo's, I got another one for company. Plus he hangs with the other loaches too, the 2 skunks, 2 striped, and even the 2 dojo's. So I think 8 loaches will be enough.

I probably should have gotten bigger tiger barbs. These guys are small, lol. But I couldn't see paying 3 times the price, when they will grow. One of the tigers is strange. He's nearly all black. He's pretty cool to watch.

Still trying to figure out if I should move my Bolivian Ram to the new tank. He doesn't seem to like the fish he's with, and liked it when the sharks were there. The bala was his buddy. Actually, I should probably say she. lol. I looked up the Bolivians and I believe I have a female. It said the first 5-6 spines on the dorsal on a male are longer? Mine are all the same length. So I'm guessing female? Maybe I should get a partner?

New Update....

Moved Bolivian Ram to the 55G. Also tested to verify cycle is complete. Here's my results....

Ammonia still 0 :mrgreen:
Nitrite still 0 :mrgreen:
Nitrate still between 10 and 20. Will probably do just 1 more PWC, then I can decrease my PWC's to just weekly. :)

I tried today, but the guy at the lfs doesn't know how to tell sex. He said to come back tomorrow when the 2 gals are there, they both are into cichlids and know more about them than he does. I believe mine is a female, from what I read. What exactly should I look for?

From what I read, it said the first 4-6 barbs of the dorsal fin on the male are longer. On mine, it's pretty much level. At the lfs, I did see some in their tank where some had the first few barbs were longer. I just want to be sure. If mine is female, I'd probably like to get 2 more, a male and a female, have 2 females in there.

Kudos to the fish store guy for not selling you fish just cause he wanted to make money I think that says alot for a store. I finally found a good fish store here in Pittsburgh its called all oddball aquatics they will ship. Eric was a really good guy and we talked for about an hour and hes not intrested in making money but more intrested in his fish.
http://www.alloddballaquatics.com/

Yes, the lfs here is really good. It's really a full pet store with grooming, etc, and this guy only knows about fish like sharks, tetras, rasboras, etc. He leaves the cichlids for the other 2 gals that are excellent with the cichlids. Then there's 2 more gals there that are in the other pets. They are very helpful, and if asked a question about a particular fish, they will direct you to the right person for it, and not just try to sell you something. And their tanks are pretty nice too. When they get shipments in, they add the fish to the tanks properly, then put a sign on, Not For Sale, for 1 week. Then they take the sign down. They won't sell anything they just got shipped in right away. Also, very rarely see dead fish there. I saw 1 floating, thought it was dead til I saw it was a butterfly fish, I believe that's what it was called. Was just floating upside down, then would move to another part of the tank and sit there a while, then move again.

Looks so nice! I did notice that you dont have an undergravel filter system like I do with the big lift tubes in the back. I have 4. Do I really need mine? I also have an over the back filter system that takes cartriges to filter. Your tank is so clean it looks empty. Beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom