The biology of a careless Whisper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I use them for. Note, some people adore their Whisper filters. My own personal experience hasn't been that great. Mileage varies. :) But honestly, Aquaclears or Penguin/Emperors are about the best you can get.

I wouldn't go out and purposely buy a Whisper. Since you've got one already, though, you might give those spongey filter bags a try and see if they work well. If they do, nifty. If not, just nab yourself a new filter.

well, I just found an aquaclear 30 at pet solutions for 13.99. I took the plunge. Aquaclear here I come!

My question now is when i install the Aquaclear and remove the whisper, will I upset the tank and force it into another cycle?

Ceramic rings should never need to be replaced, if they get a little dirty just rinse them in tank water. I usually change the foam when it gets really dirty but I keep two in there.

my personal experaince.. my whisper 5 has run for over a decade..
I do know that the impeller shaft is the weak point.. and if you know how to heat temper metal.. it fixes the problem..
I would also say the aquaclear is a better machine.. Ive had them.. the engenering rocks.. I have one now..
Marineland... uhhh.. I dont like the way they are built.. Ill keep it at that.. Ive had several of them as well. I gave my last one away..
as far as bio filtration.. uhhh.. bacteria is everywere.. there is much more of it settled in the substrate then nessisary really.. ive run whisper filters with no bio rings or added sponge.. no problems at all..
and the floss of the filter cartrage is just as good as a sponge anyway for bio-meida surfase area..
a new filter is really not needed.. IMHO
in other words.. go ahead and plan your next tank.. LOL

the thought on planning my next tank has already crossed my mind. The stand I have holds a 10 gallon and a smaller 5 1/2 gallon. I was thinking of moving the whisper to the 5 1/2 if I went through with it.

One more thing, a previous post stated that I could temporarily place the whisper biobag in the aquaclear when I get it up and running. Is this a viable alternative to running them both at the same time?

malkore said:
Penguins & emporers are good, I just don't use them because the biowheel removes too much CO2 in my planted tanks.

is there a test for CO2 levels in the tank? I have a few plants and they seem to be thriving for the most part, some of them are growing better than others. This is with a penguin 300 with two biowheels.

Yes, putting your old biobag in your new AC is pretty much ok, unless you're overstocked. If you do a straight switch, keep and eye on your levels. You might even be able to squeeze the old filter media in with your new AC sponge, don't put in the carbon unless your taking out meds or some light tannic acid.

i'm really not sure if I'm overstocked. A previous post I made about cory catfish said that I could add more. that brings me to:

1 guppy
1 silver lyretail mollie
3 sunburst platties
2 green cory cats
1 jullie leapord cory

8 plants.

Back
Top Bottom