The biology of a careless Whisper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultratonic1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everybody. I seem to be moving along nicely with my 10 gallon set up. Tank seems to still be cycling which brings me to the question of my hang on the back filter. I have a Whisper Power filter for 5-15 gallon tanks. From my reading I have come to understand that these are not the best out there but many people swear by them and others have deemed them to be "adequate". One of the faults sighted was the lack of biological filtration. I found third party "bio-bags" that hold the usual carbon and fluffy filter bag but also add a sponge to the mix. Will my aquarium benefit from this sponge? Or should I take Tetras word that the plastic frame is etched to house bacterial colonies. I am skeptical of that claim. If the sponge does indeed work I'd like to continue using that as opposed to buying a whole new filter. Any suggestions?

As far as I know whisper filters are only not very useful if you have a planted tank and are adding CO2, since the water movement it causes will take the CO2 back out of the tank.

If you can squeeze in a sponge you'll be fine. It's mechanical and also biological filtration, since a sponge has a big surface for bacteria to live on. No need to buy a new filter!

Thanks, I'm not using CO2 so that should not be a problem. there is just enough space in front of the slot where the bio-bag slids into that I have been able to squeeze the sponge into. The water does not seem to be overflowing as a result. I'll stick with this strategy unless something really wacky happens.

I'd check the sponge once in a while to make sure the pores aren't closing up. Once they do, the water may have to flow over the sponge to keep moving. If the overflow is enough to top the edge of the filter, then you will have a mess. That means a wet floor at best, and if you're not home the filter will pump until the water reaches the intake most likely. Probably 1 or 2 gallons.

I think the 'fluffy' bag you talk about would be enough bio filtration for a tank your size, the bacteria will grow on that fluff as well. That sponge would make me nervous.

My son has a whisper filter for 5-15 gal as well. I put a few ceramic rings at the bottom of the filter underneath where the carbon would do. Just to be safe, and it has worked fine.

I am completely unimpressed with Whisper filters. Between their unimpressive workmanship and reasonably useless biobags, and a lack of real space for adding extras to the box, I'm sticking with AquaClear or Emperor/Penguin.

Your mileage, of course, may vary. :)

I have read many posts that share your point of view. It seems to be okay for my 10 gallon however. I really don't want to just throw it away since it's working well and is new.

The whisper motors aren't as long lived either, especially compared to AquaClears (which you can even run dry for a while without permanent damage, though I don't recommend it).

Penguins & emporers are good, I just don't use them because the biowheel removes too much CO2 in my planted tanks.

If your whisper fails you, replace it with an AquaClear, and you can put the whisper media into the aquaclear, no problem.

Sounds like a good plan. I think, based on my reading that the Whiper will conk out in a year or less. I'll definately use the aquaclear next go around.

I wouldn't go out and buy a Whisper that is for sure, but it came with the 5 gal kit and the ceramic rings allow it to work well enough for the 5 gal. When it dies I will get another Aquaclear HOB for sure. But so far it has lasted 4 years.

I've also heard some not-so-good things about Whisper filters, but I agree there is no reason to ditch it while it is working perfectly fine. I'm with malkore on the Aquaclear though, should your Whisper conk out one of these days. :mrgreen:

Yes, you should be able to find a bag of ceramic rings at your LFS or at any chain pet store like Petsmart. Since you won't need very many, and you won't need to replace them for any reason, I would pick up the Aquaclear rings designed for the Aquaclear mini. They should be packaged with a little mesh bag that you can just drop the rings in. I would imagine the little bag will fit into your Whisper but I have never tried this myself. Once the bacteria colonize your ceramic rings, it should help keep your biofilter in check when you are changing out the Bio Bags.

I'll definately pick up those rings. The whisper came with the tank set up and it seems that many starter aquarium kits come with these. my guess is this is what keeps the Whispers in production since no one seems willing to actually buy one on it's lonesome. :)

You'd be surprised, some people swear by them. :lol: Good luck with your tank.

Thanks, yes there seems to be a samll minority out there that swear by them. I've read their posts on other fourums declaring such. I liken it how some people are devoted to their Macs and won't use windows. (ooops thats me!) :D

Yeah, I've had an aquaclear mini on my 10 gallon... its been running for about... 9 years, i believe. Thats including 2 weeks of it running dry in my brothers bedroom before i finally hijacked his tank and moved it to my room and filled it up before he got home. It sucked the water up from 8 inches below its output level before it ran dry too.

I heard rumors that they use the same pump all the way up to the Aquaclear 40 (200 in the older model) and all they do is change the impellor. Beefy little guys. Mine is SUPER quiet too (provided the tank is full)

Just stuff it full of polyester filling, and risne it in tank water once a month, and a 99 cent bag of pillow stuffing will last you 5 years. Sure beats proprietary cartridges! (IMO)

the bio-bags can sure add up over time. the aquaclears seem to be the most favored filters around. does anyone out there use a whisper because they feel it's the best or that it's very good?

My 29 gallon tank came with a Whisper 30. The Whisper doesn't have even close to the capacity for holding bacteria that a tank that size needs, and it doesn't have the power to really clean the water. I used it for several weeks before becoming completely frustrated with it and replacing it with an Aquaclear.

There is a world of difference between the two. The Whisper lets water build up behind the filter media and forces it through. The floss on the bags is flimsy, and adding extras (such as some extra polyfill or crushed coral for water buffering) is difficult at best. The impeller speeds aren't too much different, and it doesn't give a whole lot of water agitation at the top. I added an airstone for extra oxygenation, because the opposite side of the tank's surface didn't even move.

The Aquaclear, on the other hand, forces the water up through the media, making sure that all of it has to pass through. Adding extra media is a breeze, and adjusting the impeller output is easy. I'm very pleased with my Aquaclear.

(One caveat... I also went from the Whisper 30 to an Aquaclear 70, kicking it up to about 10 gph. Go filtration go!)

The Whisper 30 is currently sitting on my 20 gallon long, next to a Whisper 20. I run them both, hoping for enough filtration. I'll be replacing them once I have the funds to do so, and buying another Aquaclear.

I do have a Penguin on my gourami tank, and it works just fine. I think I prefer the Aquaclears to the Penguin/Emperor setup, but it's surely a good second choice. :)

I have 3 whispers, a 30, 40 and 60. the 40 and 60 are over a year old, never had any downtime, the 30 is over 3 years old (slightly different model, but exact same design) with no down time or broken pieces. I would question the source on their reliability.

as for their effectiveness, I have a fluval 304 and a whisper60 on my 75, the fluval is far better, less clogging...

malkore, the aggitation of the surface from mine doesn't seem to be that bad, but I have the outputs 1/2" below the surface (and that is the 60) and I just get a ripple up to 3" away from the outputs.. it removes plant debris very quickly and is easier to clean up then a cannister..

Back
Top Bottom