The "Chip" in my 60 Gallon Marineland...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll try to explain again.

Tempered glass is lighter,stronger and will hold up better YES. However ONCE it has been chipped or cracked the ENTIRE piece of glass is effected. Thus the integrity of the tank is compromised. Normal glass is heavier but if it is chipped the entire piece is not always compromised. Depending on the placement and size of the chip.

How can glass that's "lighter" be "stronger" than glass that is "heavier"? (the normal/tempered comparison...)

I understand the differences now; it still seems odd to me that manufacturers would use tempered glass -- open to compromise from a damage -- on the BOTTOM panes of glass which hold most of the weight...:confused:

Most of the tanks bottom panes are tempered its quite normal to have only the bottom tempered. Do the sides of your tank (the edges of the glass) look wavy? Do your corners match up nicely?

I don't believe they look "wavy"; I never really, to be honest, looked at the glass that closely aside from this "chipped" area my wife saw -- in the DARK no less -- before the tank even came completely out of my car...:blink::blink:

tempered glass has more strength because of the way its made and heated, it is able to take more strain then comparable weight float glass (regular glass) however is can also be more brittle in the fact that if any psychical damage is taken, catastrophic failure can occur. so with tempered glass, its best not to hit it or throw things at it :p lol

The bottom of the tanks usually have tempered because it is stronger. It's ONLY when there is damage done to it that it becomes fragile. Nine times out of ten the damage to tanks is on the corners. On the bottom of the tanks they have added protection of the rim. (Black plastic)

Thank you, both, for clarifying this a bit more for me...:)

Here's something I always wondered about with regard to the bottom panes of glass being "stronger"...is it possible to crack this bottom pane by laying down gravel during set up -- not large, heavy rocks as decor, but gravel?

its possible sure, i usually fill the tank with a bit of water before putting the gravel in, and even then i scoop with a cup till i have atleast 1/2 inch of gravel before i pour the rest in :p and on an earlier post you made all of the weight of the tank is not on the bottom glass ( the gravel, rocks, and other decore are) but the water is places its weight evenly through out the tank. now has to your tank leaning forward, i would try to correct that if possible, not only for the possible blowout (ill explain more later) but because tanks are top heavy when full of water, and im sure the last thing you want is to have all that water on your floor. fixing it is quite easy, since it is carpet sometime as easy as pulling it further from the wall because of the wood strip it may be sitting on that runs along the walls to hold the carpet down. another option if thats not the case is wooden shims, you can look up vidoes online the explain how to do this (only shim the bottom of the stand between the floor do not shim between the stand and tank)

now to explain the possible blowout, some people say that it is indeed possible for seals to rupture or for the glass to just give out if it is uneven, however others with more of a science background have stated that regardless of the tank being even or uneven the water pressure will always be even on all sides, even if the water was 2 inches higher in the front then the back there would be no more weight on the front then there is the back. Now whether that is really the case i do not know.

whatever steps you take is up too you, though id recommend shimming the tank till its even just to be on the safe side

sorry for any typos, its late :p and i hope this helps lol

its possible sure, i usually fill the tank with a bit of water before putting the gravel in, and even then i scoop with a cup till i have atleast 1/2 inch of gravel before i pour the rest in :p and on an earlier post you made all of the weight of the tank is not on the bottom glass ( the gravel, rocks, and other decore are) but the water is places its weight evenly through out the tank.

Oh, well, NOW you have me worried...are you saying that even if I laid the gravel down pretty gently, as gently as possible, I could STILL have a crack in that bottom glass? :blink: :( :nono:

now has to your tank leaning forward, i would try to correct that if possible, not only for the possible blowout (ill explain more later) but because tanks are top heavy when full of water, and im sure the last thing you want is to have all that water on your floor. fixing it is quite easy, since it is carpet sometime as easy as pulling it further from the wall because of the wood strip it may be sitting on that runs along the walls to hold the carpet down. another option if thats not the case is wooden shims, you can look up vidoes online the explain how to do this (only shim the bottom of the stand between the floor do not shim between the stand and tank)

Here's the thing about this: The tank is already filled with water and running, so moving this stand with the tank is absolutely out of the question -- it's too heavy. Further, I already had this checked out...while the tank sits near a wall, it's not leaning from the tack strip that normally lines a wall beneath carpet...

now to explain the possible blowout, some people say that it is indeed possible for seals to rupture or for the glass to just give out if it is uneven, however others with more of a science background have stated that regardless of the tank being even or uneven the water pressure will always be even on all sides, even if the water was 2 inches higher in the front then the back there would be no more weight on the front then there is the back. Now whether that is really the case i do not know.

whatever steps you take is up too you, though id recommend shimming the tank till its even just to be on the safe side

sorry for any typos, its late :p and i hope this helps lol

Thank you -- I appreciate you taking the time to assist me. Well, the way the tank sits, the water does indeed appear to be "higher" in the front, from the lean, than in the back...

Will this cause a blowout? It is a SUBTLE level difference...

very unlikely for gravel to crack the bottom glass, i was just trying to say that it might be possible if you just dumped 50lbs in the tank all at once :p

and if the water level is not leaning by the much then you should be fine, its really about what you are comfortable with. My 38 gallon leans to the left just a little bit, the water level is lower about 3/16 of an inch on the right, but i dont worry about it.

was not trying to scare you, just giving you some information so you can make the decision you think is best :)

also im doubtful it will cause a blowout if the tank is well made, and im sure it is

further more if its not leaning because of the tack strip, then the floor just might be slightly off level as most floors are, or the tank is compressing the carpet more in the front then the back, alot of reasons really.

very unlikely for gravel to crack the bottom glass, i was just trying to say that it might be possible if you just dumped 50lbs in the tank all at once :p

and if the water level is not leaning by the much then you should be fine, its really about what you are comfortable with. My 38 gallon leans to the left just a little bit, the water level is lower about 3/16 of an inch on the right, but i dont worry about it.

was not trying to scare you, just giving you some information so you can make the decision you think is best :)

also im doubtful it will cause a blowout if the tank is well made, and im sure it is

further more if its not leaning because of the tack strip, then the floor just might be slightly off level as most floors are, or the tank is compressing the carpet more in the front then the back, alot of reasons really.

Thanks...

on the BOTTOM panes of glass which hold most of the weight...:confused:

The pressure is on the front and rear glass; it's what usually bowes.

This will bother you for about a month or two. Once you see that it has not leaked or blown up, your concerns will be a thing of the past.

Enjoy your tank.

David

The pressure is on the front and rear glass; it's what usually bowes.

This will bother you for about a month or two. Once you see that it has not leaked or blown up, your concerns will be a thing of the past.

Enjoy your tank.

David

David,

When you have a few moments, please read through THIS thread, and you will better understand why I am so worried, paranoid and downright freaked out about what can happen to this new tank:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-running-for-my-goldies-long-post-246319.html

Back
Top Bottom