The "Chip" in my 60 Gallon Marineland...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not sure if this is the proper place for this question, and if it isn't, moderators please feel free to move it to where it would be more suitable with my sincere apologies...

From the very first day we took delivery of our new Marineland "Heartland Ensemble" package from Petsmart (60 gallon aquarium, dual 24" hoods with lights and matching stand), my wife noticed a rather significant "chip" in the front portion of the tank on the right side; interestingly, I found THIS thread on another forum in which the OP had the exact same chip on the exact same tank -- in seemingly the EXACT same spot:

Would you worry about this chip in my corner?

I'm beginning to wonder, now, if this was like a widespread shipping damage problem from Marineland when they sent these out to Petsmarts, etc.; I don't think the chip could have happened from transporting the tank home as it was lifted into the back of my car carefully where it rested on sheets draping the leather seats and it didn't really come in contact with anything...even once home, I didn't do anything to the tank that would have caused this chip through the thick glass of this seemingly well-made (and HEAVY) aquarium...

At any rate, we went ahead and threw caution to the wind, deciding to set up the tank anyway (after we filled it up with water in our garage the night I brought it home for a "leak test") filling it and decorating it, transferring the goldfish, etc., and it does not seem to be showing any signs of leakage near the crack point...if you read through that guy's thread in the forum link I posted above, you'll see where most of the reponses tell him not to worry about a chip so small -- which is about what ours looks like -- but I would like to get everyone's input on here as I know I can trust the advice of you guys and gals...

Should a chip the size of the one, approximately, shown in the thread in the link supplied, be of concern, or is this kind of "normal" when it comes to tank shipping from manufacturers? The silicone and glass of this Marineland tank looks WAY overbuilt and sturdy, so I'm thinking I may not have much to worry about...but what do you guys think? Can I shoot some epoxy of some kind onto the chip -- from the outside of the glass of course -- to fill it in to make sure no leaking takes place? Should a leak have started already given the chip?

Thanks all!

I have a "chip" out of my 80 gal. It's been there for years. If the chip on your tank goes into the seam I would be concerned. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. I put some silicone over the chip on my tank but I think it's been more for my peace of mind than anything. If your tank is new talk to the place of purchase and see about returning it? I bought mine used so that wasn't an option for me.

I have a "chip" out of my 80 gal. It's been there for years. If the chip on your tank goes into the seam I would be concerned. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. I put some silicone over the chip on my tank but I think it's been more for my peace of mind than anything. If your tank is new talk to the place of purchase and see about returning it? I bought mine used so that wasn't an option for me.

Thanks very much for the quick reply, Mlani!

Unfortunately, we already have a fish-in cycle going with this tank so I'm not going to strip it down and go through the whole return process; it was bought on sale at Petsmart about a month or so ago, and you get the tank and stand you see on the store's display floor...

I don't think the chip is going into any seams -- I will have to look closer; it looks very much like the chip in the guy's same 60 gallon in that link I provided...it's just a kind of chip in the black sealant area of the glass, about a quarter of the way down on the front right of the tank...

Do you feel this could be okay if I left it...is there anything you could recommend that can be added from the outside...like epoxy of some kind?

No problem. Sorry I didn't realize you had fish in cycling. My bad, it's late and I'm half asleep here.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/am-i-done-for-187065.html
Look at the pic in This thread. Does yours look worse than that? Or about the same?

I understand; I'm half asleep here as well...:blink:

Actually, I think my chip looks slightly LESS daunting as yours in that thread...:ermm:

It looks more similar to this (this is NOT my tank, but the same one I bought that this person had the seemingly same kind of chip on):
y6a8edy9.jpg
u2ypuny2.jpg

ebu4ese9.jpg

looks to be fine, i have the same type of chip in a 10 gallon QT tank ive had for a few months with no problems (even with the tank being un level with the water being about 1/4 inch higher in the corner with the chip only). and as long as the glass is not tempered (you would see some time of small stamp in a corner of the glass if it was) then it should be fine, if it is tempered then you need to empty it right away and take it back.

looks to be fine, i have the same type of chip in a 10 gallon QT tank ive had for a few months with no problems (even with the tank being un level with the water being about 1/4 inch higher in the corner with the chip only). and as long as the glass is not tempered (you would see some time of small stamp in a corner of the glass if it was) then it should be fine, if it is tempered then you need to empty it right away and take it back.

From what I know, only the BOTTOM pane of glass in this tank is tempered...

But I don't understand something -- wouldn't tempered glass be a "good" thing as opposed to non-tempered? Why would it be dangerous for the front pane on the tank to be tempered? Doesn't tempered refer to glass that can't shatter?

as long as the glass is not tempered (you would see some time of small stamp in a corner of the glass if it was) then it should be fine, if it is tempered then you need to empty it right away and take it back.
I agree +1

There is a sticker/notice ONLY on the bottom of the aquarium that states the bottom pane is tempered...I'm assuming the remainder of the tank's glass isn't...

If your chip is smaller than the chip you saw on my tank you should be fine. If you're really worried about it run a bead of silicone over that side of the tank. If the chip hasn't penetrated the seam at all I wouldn't worry about it. If its tiny it won't effect the stability of the tank only the perception of it. I turned my tank around so the chip is at the back instead of the front. After taking more precautions than you will have to if the chip is as small as it presents in the pictures.

If your chip is smaller than the chip you saw on my tank you should be fine. If you're really worried about it run a bead of silicone over that side of the tank. If the chip hasn't penetrated the seam at all I wouldn't worry about it. If its tiny it won't effect the stability of the tank only the perception of it. I turned my tank around so the chip is at the back instead of the front. After taking more precautions than you will have to if the chip is as small as it presents in the pictures.

Can you take a look at the pics I provided and compare them to what was on your tank? I ask because those pics are more in line of the size of my chip -- as for turning the chip side to face the back, I wanted to do that, but my wife had suggested we keep it toward the FRONT so we can monitor its growth/spread, which seemed to make sense to me. It's not really an eyesore, at all (you can't even see it unless on top of it), I was just worried about its becoming a full blown crack/blowout/leak...

With regard to the TEMPERED GLASS issue, can you explain that a bit better to me? I was under the assumption that tempered glass was thicker and more "uncrackable"...if so, why would it be dangerous for the front panel of my tank to be made of tempered glass? From what I understand, only the BOTTOM panel is made of such material...

I MAY have to double check with Marineland direct now to be sure...:hide:

Read this for the tempered glass.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/tempered-glass-or-not-203822.html
(Put the wrong link in my bad)

It may help you to understand the different glass and how it reacts with water,pressure and what not. The chip in my tank is around an inch long with one piece that is still hanging on. (Thanks to the silicone) mine didn't extend into the seams. However this was an old tank when purchased and I did redo the seams on it. Inside and out. I didn't fix the chip and I haven't had any issues with it. Mine isn't tempered.

Read this for the tempered glass.

How to Build a Glass Aquarium
It may help you to understand the different glass and how it reacts with water,pressure and what not. The chip in my tank is around an inch long with one piece that is still hanging on. (Thanks to the silicone) mine didn't extend into the seams. However this was an old tank when purchased and I did redo the seams on it. Inside and out. I didn't fix the chip and I haven't had any issues with it. Mine isn't tempered.

From what I gather, tempered glass has the tendency to "explode" into a million pieces, but it doesn't really explain why or how -- from what I knew, tempered glass meant it was UNCRACKABLE...now I'm learning it's the exact OPPOSITE?

It's the way it's processed, created. They heat it differently and once its cracked or chipped it effects the stability of the entire tank. Tempered glass.. say on a vehicle is different. It's manufactured so that if a rock hits it or it cracks then it will hold together all the little bits. If you apply the same thing but put pounds of pressure like water behind it. It will blow out. It's a safety feature for vehicles (crashes involving being trapped) however if you're trying to keep that glass in piece holding aquatic life inside of it, it will blow out just the same as if it were in a car.

Dang...I'm still a bit confused...:blink:

I will check out those other links, and thanks -- but does it make sense, in the meantime, that my tank came with a sticker proclaiming only the BOTTOM pane was tempered?

I'll try to explain again.

Tempered glass is lighter,stronger and will hold up better YES. However ONCE it has been chipped or cracked the ENTIRE piece of glass is effected. Thus the integrity of the tank is compromised. Normal glass is heavier but if it is chipped the entire piece is not always compromised. Depending on the placement and size of the chip.

Dang...I'm still a bit confused...:blink:

I will check out those other links, and thanks -- but does it make sense, in the meantime, that my tank came with a sticker proclaiming only the BOTTOM pane was tempered?

Most of the tanks bottom panes are tempered its quite normal to have only the bottom tempered. Do the sides of your tank (the edges of the glass) look wavy? Do your corners match up nicely?

lol sorry didnt mean to cause so much confusion, i was only saying that because my 38 gallon tank's front back and bottom glass is all tempered, so a chip or just a scratch can cause the entire thing to shatter, but since only the bottom of yours is (as is 90% of tanks out their), then the chip should not concern you in that respect.

lol sorry didnt mean to cause so much confusion, i was only saying that because my 38 gallon tank's front back and bottom glass is all tempered, so a chip or just a scratch can cause the entire thing to shatter, but since only the bottom of yours is (as is 90% of tanks out their), then the chip should not concern you in that respect.

That's alright; the confusion is on my end, not stemming from you guys...

I wanted to add, in response to your first post, that my tank too isn't 100 percent level as yours wasn't...it leans slightly to the front because of the padded carpet it's on...and the chip is in this FRONT of the tank...even still, this shouldn't lead to a blowout, should it?

With regard to the tempered explanation you offer in this post -- I think I understand what you're all saying now regarding this type of glass...that if the main four panes (front, back and two sides) were tempered and a crack/chip occurred, it could weaken the glass to the point of fracture...but this still seems SO strange to me given the fact that most aquariums come with tempered glass in the BOTTOM pane, which is holding ALL the weight of the tank...

Or am I off here?:blink::blink::blink::blink:

Back
Top Bottom