The "Common" Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yeti

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay so Ive been told that the pleco I have is a "common" pleco.. but when I look up common pleco in google or whatever, it comes up with a bunch of diff species.. so.. which is it? i dont believe he/she is a sailfin, or a rubbernose or any of that.. its just blackish brown with brown spots.. not yellow like the gold nugget..

thanks!
I havent been able to snap a good shot yet but here's the best I have so far:
img_800780_0_ed3106f8827c0d5bac05b847e3cb3d44.jpg

Probably a liposarcus pardalis-does he look like this?

img_800860_0_4f385b7c4319d8a8a67e4264e78fc822.jpg

img_800860_1_1aa616f7a4a8ce5fb6842d0f6827a247.jpg

This is Fred, my guy-he's about 13 inches long now. They get to at least 18" and need a gi-normous tank at that size.

I'ld need a pic with the dorsal up.. The way the colour is shifting is consistent with a Sailfin, however that is not exclusive to the gibbiceps.

PlecSide.jpg

This is mine (Gibbiceps).. Also note the tail. The top and bottom extend further.

Yes, you need a pic of him with his top fin extended; count the "spines" on the dorsal fin.

I can't tell any more from the second pic than from the first. Are you saying he's "not even close" because of the color pattern? That can vary widely from fish to fish.

Whether gibby or L. pardalis, he'll get big!

PS-Your tetra and Molly look like they're trying to help ID him in that second pic. Are they counting rays? :)

yeah thats the problem this guy never swims around he moves to one place and stays nearly all day...

if you need to manually extend the dorsal to take a pic, I have seen my common with striation like that at times, and he often changes from brown to black.

nah its not worth me stressing him out just for a photo...i believe its just a common and thats all i need to know...

He looks like he has stress coloring. I would provide more cover for him, something cave-like that he can get under and be in the dark. The white gravel is hard on some fish. They are usually pretty outgoing and keen for food.

I would say Pterygoplichthys pardalis http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=88

"common" pleco.

I have this type myself and the young ones do not look like the mature adults. The coloration is not as distinct IMO. I know mine looks pretty dark, except his belly as the spots. His fins raised up he is beautiful, but he only does that when he swims across the tank, Other wise he just sticks himself to the driftwood or something else and sits there.

I have had him for about 5mo now and he gets more and more relaxed with time. He is not the same as when I first got him. He use to hang out on the side of the tank and not move much. Now he hides, and changes spots often and spends less time just stuck to the tank.

A couple pics to compare. I had it ID on planetcatfish.com (they are awesome at helping ID)

04052007%20009.jpg

04052007%20013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom