The delemia of an empty tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilovemyfishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an empty 20 gallon, a 10 gallon with some platies, neons, cory cat and glofish, a 5 gallon with 2 small otos, cory cats and 18 platy fry (2 are 2 months old and 16 are 1 month). I also have a 1.5 gallon with 16 fry (2 days old. I was going to put them in with the older fry, but my fish were suffering from columnaris and I lost 13 fish in 3 days), and I was afraid that they would be contaminated and didn't want them to kill my other fry.

I'm trying to decide if I want to put the occupants of the 10 gallon tank in the 20 and move the older fry in there as well, and then use the 10 gallon as my QT tank, or should I put the occupants of the 5 gallon tank into the 20 and use the 5 gallon as my QT tank and just leave the 10 gallon alone.

I am not planning on getting any large fish in the future, however I do have 5 goldfish around 4.5 inches in a 60 gallon tank, and I'm afraid if I used the 5 gallon as the QT/Hospital tank, they would suffer, even though they wouldn't be in there longer than a week.

I welcome your advise

In my opinion, the ten gallon makes the best QT tank. Like you said, your goldfish would not be too happy should they need to be placed in a 5 gallon QT tank. Also, the ten gallon inhabitants can only benefit from the extra space in the 20.

I would use the 10 gallon as a QT and the 5 gallon for the older fry and the smallest for the new fry. I would also move your cories to the 20 gallon too, they are very energetic fish and extra space is better suited for them.

TraceyB4602 said:
I would use the 10 gallon as a QT and the 5 gallon for the older fry and the smallest for the new fry. I would also move your cories to the 20 gallon too, they are very energetic fish and extra space is better suited for them.

+1

A ten gallon works wonderfully as a qt. I only have a 3.5 gallon right now, which could be a problem in the future. I would jump at a chance like the one you have.

Back
Top Bottom