The evolution of my 46 gallon bow...just to make a fish happy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eco23

Aquarium Advice Addict
I love my Bolivian Ram...my Bolivian Ram didn't love my tank. I had the genius idea to go with white gravel when I first set up the tank, and my Ram decided he'd blend into the substrate instead of showing any color.

So here's the transition over the past few months-

1) Started out with fake plants (my girl said she wanted to have a fish tank...not be an underwater gardener, lol.). HOB filter, stock lighting, clean but not exciting.

2) Talked her into a few real plants, upgraded to a Fluval 405, replaced stock lighting with duel T-5 HO daylight and actinic bulbs. The new light mixed with white gravel equaled an awfully bright tank.

3) No more fake plants, added a few natural rocks to try and cut glare, floated some Water Sprite for shade and lost the air stones for the sake of quietness in my bedroom. When Tetra says their pumps are "Whisper"...they're lying.

4) As it sits today. Replaced about half the white gravel with a river rock substrate, added a black background and have my fingers crossed that my Ram will actually start looking like a Ram :).

Attachments

• New Tank 007.jpg
    New Tank 007.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Upload 171.jpg
    Upload 171.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 200
  • River rocks 013.jpg
    River rocks 013.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 203
  • River rocks 077.jpg
    River rocks 077.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 207
ryan-peddle said:
Hey great looking tank quick question what are those amazing red fish and the bright green one?

Thanks Ryan :). You're probably seeing the Glofish (my girls one requirement for the tank, lol). We've got 3 pink ones, 2 green and 2 orange mixed in with Leopard Danios. The Leopards can't tell they're not Glofish and they all school together.

If you're not familiar with the Glofish, they're genetically modified Zebra Danios initially made to detect pollution in streams. It wasn't until later that the scientists realized people in the aquarium trade would be interested in them. Since the colors are genetic, there's no cruel treatment to dye them or modify them, and the colors never fade. They mix right in with every other type of Danio, and are the most active fish I have.

You should see them with just the actinic light on...they really do glow. I probably have a pic...

I actually didn't have a great one, but this will give you an idea. The first is when we first brought them home. You can see how active they are because in the second pic I had just switched out the substrate, so everyone else was hiding but the Glofish didn't have a care in the world.

Attachments

• New fish! 266.jpg
    New fish! 266.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 149
  • River rocks 041.jpg
    River rocks 041.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 154
I did research them I believe the green fellas are called electric green glofish I just wanted to make sure any ideas on the names of the other glofish I believe there are three colors and I have the same lights in my 80 gallon I think they might be the next addition

I absolutely love my glofish, when I turn on the blacklight, its like watching little bright flashlights swim around the tank! Eco did you see the new blue glofish?? not exactly the brightest in daylight but by far the brightest glofish color under actinic/blacklight...

ryan if you are looking for info check out GloFish® Fluorescent Fish Home Page, pretty interesting stuff

ryan-peddle said:
I did research them I believe the green fellas are called electric green glofish I just wanted to make sure any ideas on the names of the other glofish I believe there are three colors and I have the same lights in my 80 gallon I think they might be the next addition

Yeah, I think you're right on the names. The others might me Starfire and Sunburst or something like that. I saw sometime ago a blue version is in development. It's crazy they created these colors by using genes from I think jellyfish and sea coral? Something like that. I hate the idea of modified fish (I didn't know my Red Eye Tetras were actually ballon Red Eyes when I bought them :-( ), but the fact they can develop a fish that is colored like this without causing harm is pretty amazing. It's also funny they're trademarked and patented...so apparently breeding and selling is a no-no, lol.

I heard that and kinda laughed a trademarked fish lol o well if it causes them no harm I am ok with it I just love the colors and seeing yours under black light confirmed my next addition and thanks for the attachment will make good bed reading

ryan I could ship them to ya:) plus im only in pa..so not really all that far from canada. and Eco, they just released the blue color this month..about 3 weeks ago

ryan-peddle said:
Might not be available in canada according to their website maybe I can find a member to ship to me "ECO"lol

Lol. You've gotta worry about your wife selling your aquarium gear for what you said you paid...I'd have to worry about explaining to mine where the Glofish disappeared to, haha! Or even worse, why Customs Officials were knocking on the front door :). Sometimes weird things happen though and I guess some store bought ones could somehow find themselves in a box mistakingly addressed to Canada, lol.

negligent_inmate said:
ryan I could ship them to ya:) plus im only in pa..so not really all that far from canada. and Eco, they just released the blue color this month..about 3 weeks ago

I haven't seen the blue yet, I guess we might have a couple new additions to go along with the Panda Corys I'm gonna pick up :) Thanks for the heads up.

anytime:) we actually had to take our blue glofish back today and swap him for another because he wouldn't stop chasing our female guppies...he was obsessed with them lol

negligent_inmate said:
anytime:) we actually had to take our blue glofish back today and swap him for another because he wouldn't stop chasing our female guppies...he was obsessed with them lol

Wow, I've never seen an aggressive Danio. They play chase each other all the time...but nothing relentless. Maybe instead of sea coral or jellyfish genetics...they mixed the blue ones DNA with Great Whites or something, lol.

Noce looking tank Eco. I've always had the theory / experience that at least fish will darken or lighten their colors as a response to the substrate. Light colored gravels and backgrounds tend to make fish look washed out compared to the same kind of fish over a darker gravel. I'm also convinced that live plants have the same effect.

I love rams. They're colorful and very peacful fish who don't bother anyone or anything. It does seem difficult to find the short-finned variety with much color in the LFS though. Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom