The fish are dead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just woke up from a nap to find almost ALL of my stock wiped out. About three hours before they were all happily swimming and anxious to eat.

I'd just changed the water in my 55g before my nap (about 30%). It was temperature adjusted, treated, and ready for the tank. The only difference this time was while I was asleep, my brother thought it apt to dose with API fungus cure, though they were showing no signs of it. he likes the color of the medicine. In addition to the dose, the power was turned off to the tank. I was only away from the tank for about two hours. I cannot figure out what happened.

Sadly no. The bottle is only about two inches high, half an inch wide. I don't remember the exact size. My heart hurts so much right now.

I woke up to find my cichlids dead or gasping for breathe. All of my fry died as well

Do a large PWC ASAP! Get those meds outta there. Make sure your brother knows NEVER to dose a tank with meds unless absolutely necessary.
Did you remember to add prime?

The entire unit was off... Filter, power head, lights. Everything. I've had a situation in the past where the power was off through the night (about eight hours) and everyone was fine. The tank is heavily planted.

The four remaining fish were transferred to my 29g. I haven't had the courage to take out the ones who died. There are so many.

Im SOO sorry!!! It def sounds like he OD'd on the meds. When your ready to approach dealing with your tank, i would do some massive water changes & run some carbon in your filter for a few days to make sure there are no traces of meds left. :(

bigbanker said:
The entire unit was off... Filter, power head, lights. Everything. I've had a situation in the past where the power was off through the night (about eight hours) and everyone was fine. The tank is heavily planted.

The four remaining fish were transferred to my 29g. I haven't had the courage to take out the ones who died. There are so many.

Wow I'm so sorry :(
Having the power off would have made too much of a difference. A lack of oxygen may have contributed. My guess is on the medication.
When your up to it do a 100% PWC and add carbon to the filter to remove them. Your fish should be ok to ads back into the tank after that. Keep an close eye on your params you don't don't know what they did to your biological filter.

Oh I am so sorry! How awful! But I would agree that it couldn't be the power since mine have gone through a few outages and once being unplugged by my 4-year old (the same child who dumped nearly a full container of flakes in there). They were fine. Again, so sad for you and your beautiful fish!

This is why I never let anyone within two feet of my tanks. :'D Sorry for your loss.

That is a nightmare. I will definitely not take dosing my tanks lightly. Here I was freaking out because my nitrates were high in my 16 gal so I did a PWC. So sorry for your loss.......

What fungus med was this?

API - Liquid Fungus Cure. It turns your water nuclear green. It is a 1 1/4 fl oz bottle. It says "Add one teaspoonful per 5 U.S. gallons..." The bottle is almost completely full.

How are the remaining fish going?

I've got about seven fish remaining. They seem to be sluggish but moving about.... even sifting the sand.

I finally took the dead ones out. Their bellies were swollen, but they hadn't been that way before they died. Not sure why they would have swelled like that. My beautiful male lab is gone and my stunning female who looked great, even dead, are gone just to name a few. The cost of replacing them is nothing compared to what a great mix of fish they were!

bigbanker said:
API - Liquid Fungus Cure. It turns your water nuclear green. It is a 1 1/4 fl oz bottle. It says "Add one teaspoonful per 5 U.S. gallons..." The bottle is almost completely full.

I've got about seven fish remaining. They seem to be sluggish but moving about.... even sifting the sand.

I finally took the dead ones out. Their bellies were swollen, but they hadn't been that way before they died. Not sure why they would have swelled like that. My beautiful male lab is gone and my stunning female who looked great, even dead, are gone just to name a few. The cost of replacing them is nothing compared to what a great mix of fish they were!

I'm glad to hear they are doing ok. :)

Back
Top Bottom