The Fish or Us ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky 1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Should we set the freshwater tank out for us or the fish,professional aquarists have the fish in mind,do we?

Should we set the freshwater tank out for us or the fish,professional aquarists have the fish in mind,do we?

I guess it depends on which side of the argument you want to be on. ;)
As a "pro aquarist" myself, I say for the fish. HOWEVER, I do know that there is a compromise. If there is a set up you prefer and is to your liking, there are many different fish species that live in a number of different environments so I am sure you could find fish appropriate for the set up you have or are setting up. The issues come up when you try to put the wrong fish in the wrong environment. It's equal to putting a square peg into a round hole. Something has to give in order to make that work. (y)

just my 2 cents. :whistle:

Hi Ricky. It's got to be a bit of both. The most natural setting for the fish is the way we get to appreciate their natural behaviour. However, we need to see it clearly so it has to be laid out in a way so we have access to their world. There are parts of my tank that I can't see but that just gives the fish a refuge if they need it. The only time I see all of my fish together is at feeding time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, most caves I've arranged so I can see into them but the old plane provides hiding spots I can't see. I have been caught before with fungal infections that I just couldn't find the fish but most times I can find them. Usually late at night or early in the morning I can count them and check the tank.

I think there is a median on this one. Most fish we keep have never seen their natural environment before, so we can make our tanks somewhat unnatural as long as the fish are still happy and healthy

Good point F W, I just think we should try and make their environment for them, and not us, research is all that's needed.

I think there is a median on this one. Most fish we keep have never seen their natural environment before, so we can make our tanks somewhat unnatural as long as the fish are still happy and healthy
Good point but what happens when you do add wild stock to a tank?

Certain traits are just genetically entrenched in all living things. For example: Even a tank bred and raised Neon Tetra will do better in a well planted, dimly lit tank opposed to a wide open, brightly lit tank just as an open water swimmer will do poorly in a heavily decorated tank. It's in their genes. So, whether you are keeping wild or tank raised, you need to understand the specie to know the proper setup for that specie. What you use for that setup is where you can go a bit crazy :D If a fish needs a hole to hide in, it doesn't matter to the fish whether that hole is in a rock/rock formation or a plastic clown's head with an open mouth. The fish just sees the hole :lol: (y)

Good point but what happens when you do add wild stock to a tank?

Certain traits are just genetically entrenched in all living things. For example: Even a tank bred and raised Neon Tetra will do better in a well planted, dimly lit tank opposed to a wide open, brightly lit tank just as an open water swimmer will do poorly in a heavily decorated tank. It's in their genes. So, whether you are keeping wild or tank raised, you need to understand the specie to know the proper setup for that specie. What you use for that setup is where you can go a bit crazy :D If a fish needs a hole to hide in, it doesn't matter to the fish whether that hole is in a rock/rock formation or a plastic clown's head with an open mouth. The fish just sees the hole :lol: (y)
good points there!

Back
Top Bottom