Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2004, 11:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The goldfish that wouldn't be eaten

We feed our target puffer a goldfish midweek to hold him over between crabs but this week the goldfish was too big for him to eat and he left it alone. After about three days I pulled the goldfish out and threw him in the 50 gallon community tank. He's in with some balas and clown loaches and a few black skirt tetras. I'm thinking about just leaving him in there. He's a good four inches. He seems to be doing okay in the 75ish degree water. What do you guys think? I don't want to flush him, and I don't want to kill him unless the puffer eats him. Do I have a new resident for the 50 gallon tank?

Old 08-13-2004, 11:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I keep my fantail and black moor goldfish in a unheated tank. It's around 80 in summer and 70 or lower in winter. Since goldfish are a cold water fish that might be a problem since they aren't tropical. But I don't see why it wouldn't work. Becareful though. My goldfish are ALWAYS hungry. I can't keep plants in the tank because the goldfish will eat them and they like to dig through the gravel, which would pose a problem for the root systems of plants that may be in your tank.

Old 08-14-2004, 07:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Usually its not recommended to mix goldfish and tropical fish, if hes doing ok, I'd say go for it. But he will probably get quite big, so I don't know if you want the extra bioload. Also get some sinking pellets for him, goldfish prefer to eat at mid tank and bottom levels.
He will also destroy any small leaved plants you have, been there done that!
And he will do fine as long as your temp isn't above 82.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:33 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
The goldfish will be ok in the tropical tank. I had the same thing happen when my turtles didn't eat 4 of the goldfish I fed them for some reason. They obviously get pretty big.

Also need to remember, that goldfish add huge bioloads to the tank, they are quite the messy fish. It WILL get big, and pick through the gravel, eat everything, etc.

If you can find a pond to put it in or something, I would.

I keep a black moor in my tropical tank now, just because I couldn't bear getting rid of it (I saved the poor little fishie, long story), and he is doing just fine. My tank temp stays a consistent 76-78 degrees.

HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your black skirt tetras are going to be the problem in the future. Although goldfish and balas are peaceful fish they both can grow to over a foot. Overall they should be fine but you may need to provide some shelter for the tetras to get away from the others once in awhile in the future.
1-225gal \ 1 60gal hex \ 17-20gal \ 7-10gal in storage
fish_doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com