The Great Restart: Filter Choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, I am finally starting the tank back up after almost three years of absence due to an outbreak of ick killing my entire stock :(

Anyway, I have yet to begin my fishless cycle because I'm still trying to decide on a filter because I would like to upgrade from my Emperor 280 on my 29 gallon to something bigger and (hopefully) better. Take a look at my choices and let me know what you think (or if I should just stick with my Emperor). Here are my top five:

Penguin 350b
Because there is a good deal for it on Amazon. It seems to be a downgrade from what I have (Penguin not Emperor) but I don't really know the difference. It is also still a HOB filter. All I see is that it can handle more, and I guess with filters, quantity is quality.
Amazon Description

Cascade 700 Canister Filter
One of the four canister filters I'm considering. Seems to have good reviews and is rated for 65 gallons.
Amazon Description

Aquatop CF-300 or CF-400UV
The Aquatop CF-300 seems like a great choice at a better price than the Cascade at 75 gallons and handles up to 264 gph. For $30 more the CF-400UV has UV sterilization but I'm not sure if that would be great for the bacteria colonies I am trying to grow. Ideas?
Amazon Description: CF-300
Amazon Description: CF-400UV

Marineland 350 Canister Filter
This seems to be the powerhouse of all of the listed filters, claiming to filter up to 100 gallons at 350 gph. It also has Marineland's signature bio wheel.
California Pet Company Description

I'll toss my vote in for the Aquatop (SunSun). BTW, your bacteria colonies never see the UV light, it is contained. It is probably the most customizable filter in your list, no special sleeve media (Magnum) or cartridges (Penguin/Emperor) to buy, just cut bulk media to fit or fill it with whatever you like. I own two of them, one Aquatop CF400UV and one SunSun 304b (CF500UV).

I think the difference between the Penguins and Emperors is the Emperors have a spray bar to keep the bio-wheels turning efficiently.

Okay, I did not know that about the UV. I did notice the spray bar on the Emperor but I also noticed it frequently got clogged with mineral build up and was a pain to clean. Thanks for that info.

Back
Top Bottom