The infamous BROWN AND GREEN ALGAE fight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eddie05

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does PHOSGUARD eliminate diatoms (brown algae and Green Algae?

The diatoms no but those usually go away on their own after the tank gets a little older also there are a tun of fish that like to eat it! The green algae it just depends on the type if its green spot that's a little harder to work with. I don't know anything about Phosguard I usually add more phosphates to get rid of GSA.

The diatoms no but those usually go away on their own after the tank gets a little older also there are a tun of fish that like to eat it! The green algae it just depends on the type if its green spot that's a little harder to work with. I don't know anything about Phosguard I usually add more phosphates to get rid of GSA.

Thank you very much.. I just got a wave maker to increase the flow so hopefully this helps as well..

The lights are only on for 5 hrs a day

It’s not only the photoperiod but the intensity of light that matters. Diatoms will go away on their own. Don’t know why they appear, don’t know why they disappear but they seem to go away once the tank matures.

You may be able to eradicate green algae by reducing the strength of the light also. If it’s Cyanobacteria or BBA then it could be an organic loading issue. If it’s a bit of GSA then scrub the glass. If it’s on the leaves pick them off.

Back
Top Bottom