The LFS search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it begins.

I've printed a list and visited five or six, and have yet to find any stores where I would want to buy fish. :(

I've heard that in the last two years, over a dozen lfs have closed in the Louisville area. Figures.

I visited one yesterday that had a 'fish room' as small as my office workspace, (which is not very big at all) and a lone 'new employee' who knew 'you can't put those with those' and hadn't cleaned out the dozen platys that had died and made their way to the filter intake. Ew.

The one before that was close to home and had a huge fish room - I was excited for a second - and then I saw the tanks. I think perhaps there were an average of three corpses per tank. :( :cry:

There is hope, however. . . at Sandy's.

http://www.sandyspetshop.com/picture_gallery.htm

instore8.jpg

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like a clean store - and I hope healthy fish. I hope so, as it seems they're my last local hope. I'm headed there tomorrow morning, so wish me luck!

:edit:
I just noticed they have Dwarf Frogs buy one get one - how well do they handle 'the cycle'? :grin:
:/edit:

What types of fish are you interested in?
If you are up to crossing the river go to Clarksville and visit the Green Tree Pet Center (it is by the River Falls Mall - the one currently being converted into a Bass Pro Shop if you are familiar w/Clarksville). It doesn't look like much at first but they have the most wonderful (and HEALTHY) fish and the most knowledgeable staff!!! They specialize in African Cichlids (get in some very impressive specimens) but carry a full line of tropicals and saltwater and have a good selection of "stuff" too. That is pretty much the only place we have bought fish until recently when a new store opened in Scottsburg (we are in Madison, IN so it is closer than driving down to C-ville) - and we still go there pretty often as they have such a good selection beyond the basics
BTW - where is Sandy's located -- if you have a good visit I'd be interested in knowing where it is......always looking for a new place to visit.
I have found there are a lot more stores I will NOT visit again around here than ones I will.... :(

yea, it would help with the fish you want

so let me know and i will tell you what i reccommend

Thanks for the tip, Mandi; I'd seen that listing but hadn't set my mind on whether I was driving up there or not; it'd only be about 15 mins from me (southwest louisville proper). It's good to know they have a good selection of 'stuff' - I haven't seen hardly any accessories around Louisville so far. ;\

Sandy's is located just north of the Watterson (264) expressway, on Poplar Level Rd(one exit east of fI-65). It looks like it's quite easy to find - I'll report back tomorrow when I get home from my visit. :D

At this point, I'm more looking for healthy fish in general, then I'll worry about what I want to buy.

I know, in my mind, that I'm planning gouramis, angelfish, hatchetfish, otos, corys. . . perhaps a butterfly; the last few are still subject to change. Actually, I was just going to start on my livestock list this afternoon. . . :D

Actually had a pleasant surprise at a feeders supply on my way home from work today; not only were their fish breathing, they actually had a few that I wouldn't have expected there.

Quite overpriced, but I probably wouldn't get my fish there anyways.

They did have some rock, though, which I haven't seen in an LFS here yet, but we'll see what Sandy's is like tomorrow.

Which F.S. did you go to?? I only ask because we had been pretty happy w/the C-ville location but this week I happened to be down there in search of some rummy-nosed tetras and stopped in to see what they had and YIKES!!! Their fish dept has taken a HUGE nose dive...... :( Really disappointing (thinking they had a staff/management change for the dept) because they had previously had some neat stock - I got some great Apistos there....
What kind of rock are you looking for? I know I am beginning to sound like a commercial for Greet Tree but they have a great selection of substrate rock/gravel/sand (stuff I haven't seen in most other stores) and an equal selection of decorative stuff too.

I went to the Feeders on southern Dixie Hwy, almost out to 265.

Actually, I was just considering taking a drive up to Green Tree tomorrow as well as Sandy's. I'm not buyin, just lookin, so why not?

Good to know they have lots; I'll have to check it out!

Ok, so I went to Sandy's - and was very happy. I'm glad I accidentally saved the best lfs for last.

They had plenty of fish; not a massive 'fish room', but more than enough quantity and variety. They also had an impressive marine display, as well as 3 55g tanks for plants! The store was as clean as I'd expected, and the staff was actually able to answer my questions - while being friendly, even!

If you're up for the drive and close enough to Louisville, I'd recommend making a visit!

I also had the chance to drive up to Green Tree, Mandi, and it was quite a stocked store - they hardly had room to walk down the aisles! They had fish galore and lots of 'stuff' as well.

I'd lean a little more towards Sandy's, though, simply as it had plenty of room and better overall lighting. :grin:

Good day of hunting (or is it fishing?) I must say! Now it's time to find a nursery that sells slate/lace/river rock to get working on my decor. :D

Back
Top Bottom