The àmazing tank rebirth & a question - a little long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Daughter got a10g for her betta but she added 5/6 Amanos & 3 cories (sp?) To give it a more "lived in" look. Lost 2 of the cory over 3 wk period -they were iffy when we got them- but everyone else was fine. Betta died after 3 years & she started losing interest. Fast forward 4 months & some family issues and I asked her how tank was doing - she said she had been neglecting it, shut down filter & heater and figured it was now just a large water container. Told her to drain it & I would take it. Got an excited call later that night, her cory & at least 4/5 shrimp were still alive & well despite total neglect. Well filter & heater are now up & running, cory is named Bob & we counted 5 shrimp. Since I know cory prefer to be in groups we are going to add a few more but are not sure how many we can add safely & if they need to be the same species. *I* am going to be monitoring it so if her interest starts to wain again they will just join one of my 7 tanks.

It is best to have the same species, as they generally only shoal within their species. Can you upload a picture of Bob?

Well, peppered corydoras (C. palateus) get up to 3". Since they get bigger than the dwarf ones, I'm not sure they'd be comfortable in a 10 gallon. If you are able to move them to a larger tank, you could have a happy school of 6.

Well since I know there will be no convincing the child to get a bigger tank would 3 be ok with the 5 Amano?

I'd put as many as could comfortably fit. Five would be enough for a small school. They really suffer without the schooling. Alternatively, if you were to rehome Bob, you could get a school of 6 Pygmy corydoras, which would fit just fine in a ten gallon.

Back
Top Bottom