The mysterious appearance of a random Pond Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
librarygirl said:
So what did you do with it? ;)

He's still in the window...I think his cup is due for a pwc today, haha!

He may meet my neighbors pond later. I guess if I went to the lfs to buy a plant and they asked "Would you like that with or without snails?"...I'd probably say without :)

Would you like him shipped to RI? Maybe name him "Trate"?

I just got done cleaning a tank yesterday where I had to kill about 50-60 of these things, they breed like mad. I have had several healthy plants get mangled by these things, they seem to prefer the broad leaf plants as that is where they laid most of the eggs and did most of the damage. I had to hand wash and inspect eery leaf of every plant in the tank to get rid of the eggs. I notice this morning that even with as careful as I had been I still missed a few. I'd love to have a few in the tank if they didn't breed so much but it has become a real problem.

Oh also make sure to check the bottom of the plants near the roots, I found a bunch of them right at the root bundles.

He's still in the window...I think his cup is due for a pwc today, haha!

He may meet my neighbors pond later. I guess if I went to the lfs to buy a plant and they asked "Would you like that with or without snails?"...I'd probably say without :)

Would you like him shipped to RI? Maybe name him "Trate"?

Er, no. :) I might get a couple of Nerite snails as they seem to be the less harmful and prolific of the species but I'll do without the pond snail. lol.

IME with snails they do eat plants and the roots too, sorry but I think their a nuisance! People that say they only eat dead or rotting plants in their tanks are lucky because they ate all my plants like crazy! Just like the common garden snail I find in my garden eating my plants and roots with their lovely little friend the slug lol!

Back
Top Bottom