The odd ones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloodroot

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was sitting watching my fish today remembering all the "odd" ones I have had.

For example I had an apple snail that when I went to feed he would "rush" up to the top of the tank to be hand fed.

Or my bristlenose that was actually a horrible murderer.

And let's not forget my current pea puffer that must be the runt, but refused to be beta male in my pea puffer tank (he now lives alone).

Or my one shrimp that refuses to hid during the day.

What oddities have you guys had in your tank?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had two platys that would sit on the guard post in front of a Casile and my dwarf gourami is king Lol that was a few years back

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some of my RCS skate upside down on the water surface and feed from the floating flake. Despite the good water flow around the surface, once they've latched onto a flake they hold on for dear life. Even the fish stay clear. Dead funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a Sail Fin Pleco that would flip upside down and top feed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine does that too haha

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used to eat ice cream by my dwarf gourami tank and the female would always panic when she saw the ice cream. I also had a female convict cichlid in my bedside tank and every night before I turned the lights of she would come to the end of the tank closest to me.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A Molly that would hang around the yo yo loaches and follow behind. No idea why. I guess they are free entertainment.

I had a black molly that would chase my German Blue Ram, I ended up having to rehome the molly.

Also one of my supervail angel fish appears to do cartwheels sometimes.

Ahhh, I've had several...

There was a crayfish that we nicknamed something I'm not allowed to post here, so we'll call her Brat Cray instead. Brat Cray was the largest Dwarf Orange Crayfish I've ever seen. She absolutely would not tolerate any other crayfish in the 36g tank with her, not even males that just wanted sexy times. She would grab them by the antennae, yank them over and punch them repeatedly with her other claw without letting go of their antennae so they couldn't escape. One of them actually managed to make her lose a claw, so I thought she'd finally behave long enough to warm up to the male. No such luck. After a couple months of no issues, I found the male dead with Brat cray parading around a tiny, freshly regrown claw. She also liked to run to the front and threaten us with her claws every time we walked by the tank. I finally ended up rehoming her because I was hoping to have a breeding pair :p

Then there was Squishy... Squishy was one of my African Dwarf Frogs that literally looked like one of those "Frog balloons" from Shrek. I was scared it was bloat, but the frog had been that way since almost day one, and went on to live quite a long life after.

There's more of course, but those are the most recent ones :)

My grandmas betta swam in circles when he was a baby

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a hi fin lyretail who thinks a boesemani rainbow is his girlfriend despite the fact that she's four times his size. I also once had a harlequin raspbora who followed around a 15" iridescent shark everywhere he went, including when he would swim vertical circles around my silver dollars.

Back
Top Bottom