The passing of my favorite discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some things I suppose I'll never understand. The male of this pair passed away last night. I really don't know why but am suspecting food poisoning. They occupied a dedicated 55g just for them which has the place of honor in my fishroom (I can watch them and the TV at the same time).

All things were well, in fact I watched them spawn just last week. He never lost his brilliant colors even when he stopped eating two days ago. I just had no clue that anything was wrong with him. :( :(

Attachments

• franks_red_diamonds_546.jpg
    franks_red_diamonds_546.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 91
I'm so sorry Brian. :(
It's strange that he went so quickly and suddenly. I hope the plague isn't reappearing in your tanks. Are you going to have any biopsies cultured?

Thanks everyone. No Andy. Definetly not the discus plague. The symptoms of which are very specific. This has to be some anomoly which I've never seen before. I'm not going to dissect or send the fish out for an anylsis. All of my other discus are fine, eating and spawning. I don't think this is something I could have caught. Especially if it was food poisoning. That one bad black worm.

wow sorry to see that Brian. That is one of the worst mysterious of Discus keeping - an un-known cause of death. I had a male Red Ica die several months ago under very similar circumstances - so sorry.

Sorry about the discus, he was incredibly beautiful.
My male banded gourami passed Saturday night, he was one of my favorite fish. I think he had some kind of bacterial infection that I wasn't able to treat early enough due to him seeming fine until a few days before he passed. When I noticed, I tryed daily water changes, meds, and aquarium salt (not salt and meds at the same time), nothing worked. I know it is very hard losing a fish you've gotten very attached to. :(
I don't have any good pictures of him though, this one is the best I have.

Brian,

I'm so so sorry about your sweet fish. You gave your beautiful discus a wonderful forever home. He knew he was cared for and appreciated.

sucks Brian, but I recently had a tragety with my favorite discus as well. You may remember my "beer bottle breeding" thread, you gave me a bunch of kudos for it. Well any way, I had a good batch of eggs going, and I even softended the water a bit. I was expecting the eggs to hatch in the morning. That night, I remember hearing a few bumps in the night, and my dog (mean little girl) barking at the noises. I woke up to check on the babies and only saw my female Blue Diamond in the tank. The male red snake skin, well, he was in my sink drain, dried and dead(tankis next to sink for quick wc). I realy felt bad, I was going to post to vent my frustration but I figured, things die, thats life, live it as best you can untill you cant anymore. Now Im just mad because I cant replace him becasue Im limmited to buying small discus for $$$ reasons. Oh well, There will be others.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone. I'll place another male in with the female tomorrow. I'm thinking the white dragon might make for an interesting batch of offspring.

Attachments

• white_dragon_may_18a_009_139.jpg
    white_dragon_may_18a_009_139.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom