Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

My kitchen faucet doesn't have enough water pressure to suck out of the tank either. I have to hook it up to a garden hose outside. You could just lack the suction power in your kitchen.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

BTW, something to remember, you have to measure the tank at the top, not the bottom. Even though the gravel vac opens up at the bottom of the tank, the water still has to climb up and over the ledge of the top of the tank.

55 Gallon Community
Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman View Post
Do you have the bottom piece (valve) unscrewed and pulled down all the way?
Mine sucks so hard it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

Yeah, but I will play with it more this weekend.

I wanted to be able to clean the gravel better....

Do you think it could be due to low water pressure? Maybe I'm just doing something wrong....

I'll try the outside hose tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
One minor question? Where are you measuring the water pressure at over 80 psi. A plumping "standard" is to keep holdhold water pressure below 50psi, installing a pressure regulator if neccessary. As I understand it, many house hold appliances (say a dish washer) are designed for only 50psi. So usually, the only place you get a pressure measurement above 50psi is an outside hose bibb that connects to the water supply before the pressure regulator. (I learned about some of these things installing an irrigation system a few years back).
I don't know who told you that was standard, but its not.

Standard is the pressure that is required by the MWA (municipal water authority) to supply water to all it's customers while taking into account the age of system, size of water mains, demand rate, zoning classification, height of buildings, time of day, season, and a few other items. This varies greatly.

Municipal water supplies generally range from 30 psi to 175 psi and up. The general supply range for most municipal supplies is usually in the 60 to 125 range. I know of 2 that supply from 200 - 225 psi. I also know several that give you from 25 - 40 psi in some areas.

Most household appliances are designed to a maximum working pressure of 150 psi. You can easily read the plate on your relief valve on the water heater, or the expansion tank, also check the hose on your washing machine, its made for constant pressure not like the garden hose. When you are expected to exceed about 125 psi, you are required to have a pressure reducing valve (PRV). Also a backflow preventor (BFP) on new installations. Most items operate better at 40 to 70 psi WWP (working water pressure) at the item's inlet. This is not the static water pressure (not moving) this is the residual water pressure (flowing) they need.

Get a 200 psi pressure gauge and a few adapters from the hardware store and put the gauge on your laundry sink and elsewhere in the house. You may be surprised.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
I just bought one, and I can't get it to pump squat out of my tank.... But any idea why the faucet can't start the siphon>?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic View Post
My kitchen faucet doesn't have enough water pressure to suck out of the tank either. I have to hook it up to a garden hose outside. You could just lack the suction power in your kitchen.
I have a thought on this. Look under the sink at the supply lines going to your faucet. You should see shut off valves for the hot and the cold water. Coming out of these valves is usually a flexible supply line attaching to the faucet. The diameter of these lines may be too small. The lines come in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" & 5/8" sizes. Generally people buy the least expensive item they can. Cheap = Small in most cases. If you have the 1/4" or 3/8" hose up sizing may solve your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic View Post
BTW, something to remember, you have to measure the tank at the top, not the bottom. Even though the gravel vac opens up at the bottom of the tank, the water still has to climb up and over the ledge of the top of the tank.
True. I used 50" for the tank height. Some may be taller and some may be shorter. This seemed like a good range.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A pump's energy requirement does NOT depend on the height to which you are pumping, it depends on the differential pressure against which you must drive flow. Height is one of several factors which affects differential pressure, and if you're only pumping fluid one way then it will be the only factor. In this case where you're pumping the fluid back to its point of origin, there is no differential pressure whatsoever created by the height. The downward flow of water back to the sink draws a suction on the output of your pump which results in an easier discharge flow path and less energy input required. Yes, it takes more energy to pump the tap water uphill to the tank, but it takes less energy to pump the tank water downhill to the sink.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

3/8 inch lines for me. But I installed an inline water filter... it lowers the pressure ........
Old 02-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudavew View Post
3/8 inch lines for me. But I installed an inline water filter... it lowers the pressure ........
Yep, that will restrict the flow and cause a good sized pressure loss.

Anyway to tee the line before the filter and install a valve with hose bibb? Could use a washing machine hose to get into the sink from there.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

GZeiger- My hose lays on the floor so the water has to be pumped upto the top of the tank, down hill to the floor, around the loops of the hose then back up hill to the faucet. I can get water pulled in the Python to the top of the tank but nothing further.

55 Gallon Community
Old 02-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim692 View Post
Yep, that will restrict the flow and cause a good sized pressure loss.

Anyway to tee the line before the filter and install a valve with hose bibb? Could use a washing machine hose to get into the sink from there.

Under the sink, the house pipes are 1/2 inch that supply the sink.... I could tee off and add a bib if they make one for 3/8's line.... A trip to Lowe's maybe...

The washing machine is on the opposite side of the wall in the laundry room...
Maybe an adapter on it so I can put two hoses on it..... and then run a hose through the wall and under the sink.. My wife would kill me.. But only if she figured it out!

Tags
python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com