The skinny on Melafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a confirmed sceptic that mela or pima is particularly an issue for bettas. Ime any fish can be lost to them. Going to play devils advocate on that one.

Same Dela. Someone told me that in higher concentrations the extract has even more of a detrimental effect on animals, more than just fish.

What do you make of this?

Caleb

Same Dela. Someone told me that in higher concentrations the extract has even more of a detrimental effect on animals, more than just fish.

What do you make of this?

Caleb

If I have this correct (great discussion by the way). A higher concentration is going to put your fish more at risk/detrimental effect. I'm not sure on other animals.

For instance yesterday I put one normal dose in the betta tank. Betta has ragged fins (skipped pwc's + dumped apple snails in late one night). Betta fine - no convulsions or anything. Water surface of tank looks ok. Tank is 5 gal with small HOB.

Next step for me is the tank water change and clean. I think that will help just as much and less risky then continued dosing.

Some history on this:

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/b...ners-read-melafix-alert-read-read-danger.html

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/4807-pimafix.html

http://www.aquariumforum.com/f5/use...2363.html#/forumsite/20595/topics/2363?page=1

It would be interesting to see if the oil causes muscular spasms (not just a labyrinth organ issue). That might explain a few of the observations.

Although I'd say it's also a mixing issue. Perhaps the emulsifiers have been modified in the product over time.

Oh you gotta love the black and white perspectives on things ...

Tea tree oil is well researched for a multitude of things in several species. It's also one of the safest essential oils (one of three widely approved for use on babies).

For instance, it's been found to cure athletes foot (fungus) as well as lotrimin & friends. It has antibacterial and antiviral properties too.

And like any medicine, there are things it can't do, and chances of overdose, and side effects, and chances the animal is too stressed to deal with any medication. And aquariums are not very standard environments.

As for "helps heal" ... I mean really. That's such a vague statement. Removing the cooties that started the problem helps heal right?

While people are bashing API ... At least there exists research, and the research is consistent with what one would expect from other research on similar substances. Stress coat contains aloe, which has salicylic acid - an anti-inflammatory. Aspirin is synthetic salicylic acid. What does the competition have? Synthetic plastic like substances. The research in favor of Stress Coat is consistent with the effect of aloe in human studies. I think the claim for wound healing on that one is accurate.

I've sadly had a lot of bettas with fin rot over the years. Heavy duty mess have always been followed by rapid death. Careful use of melafix and stress coat have been followed by recovery.

I'm always astounded by the people who say "there's no research that this works" when they don't really look all that far for the research. Natural medicine is complex; it can cause as much harm as synthetic medicines and can fail just a frequently too.

I've had antibiotics fail across the board for fish - I'm not following that with a claim that erythromycin is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I have seen cautions about using any oil based fish anesthetic on labrynth fish before. From my experiences working with wild fish, and from reading studies about this in the past, I would personally avoid any oil based meds for labyrinth fish if I can. For example, clove oil is used on salmonids (at less than lethal doses obviously) in some field work and at some fish farms, though the same researchers have suggested caution using in on labyrinth fish due to higher levels of fatalities. Apologies, these opinions are more from my past work and I do not have a good article to share since I do not have access one that is free for the public to read. So, I am asserting this merely as my opinion from experience. It is worth noting that I have also not seen much by way of a comprehensive, non-biased study on the effects of oil on labyrinth fish in comparison to other fish either.

I am also personally firmly in the anti-melafix camp because I believe it is a waste of money as a fish med anyways, for any species. I prefer to go with an approach of extra water changes, maybe salt depending on the scenario, and then if needed upgrading to something more potent than melafix. Just my opinion there too. It is tough actually finding decent fish meds these days, and access to anything beyond these low performing, low concentration mild treatments can be hard for some people, and of course varies by country a bit. I certainly won't condemn somebody who uses a med that has worked for them and is available, even if I choose not to use it. There are often many routes all leading to the same path.

Any articles for those of us that have access to scholarly databases?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh you gotta love the black and white perspectives on things ...

Tea tree oil is well researched for a multitude of things in several species. It's also one of the safest essential oils (one of three widely approved for use on babies).

For instance, it's been found to cure athletes foot (fungus) as well as lotrimin & friends. It has antibacterial and antiviral properties too.

And like any medicine, there are things it can't do, and chances of overdose, and side effects, and chances the animal is too stressed to deal with any medication. And aquariums are not very standard environments.

As for "helps heal" ... I mean really. That's such a vague statement. Removing the cooties that started the problem helps heal right?

While people are bashing API ... At least there exists research, and the research is consistent with what one would expect from other research on similar substances. Stress coat contains aloe, which has salicylic acid - an anti-inflammatory. Aspirin is synthetic salicylic acid. What does the competition have? Synthetic plastic like substances. The research in favor of Stress Coat is consistent with the effect of aloe in human studies. I think the claim for wound healing on that one is accurate.

I've sadly had a lot of bettas with fin rot over the years. Heavy duty mess have always been followed by rapid death. Careful use of melafix and stress coat have been followed by recovery.

I'm always astounded by the people who say "there's no research that this works" when they don't really look all that far for the research. Natural medicine is complex; it can cause as much harm as synthetic medicines and can fail just a frequently too.

I've had antibiotics fail across the board for fish - I'm not following that with a claim that erythromycin is worthless.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Well said

Api still stinks compared to other brands. Just my humble opinion. Im sure others find good success using it. I dont.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Api still stinks compared to other brands. Just my humble opinion. Im sure others find good success using it. I dont.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would agree. I find most of their products unnecessary and some such as this very misleading.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom