The Tetra murders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, if this was said and I missed it, but how long have all the fish been in the tank? Any new arrivals?
I am sorry for our loss. I know it stinks when fish die.
I like the case file. It was very clever. :)

Edit: ok, so siva already asked. But its still important!

Bought them 5 at a time and acclimated over the span of an. Hour with lil water changes in the bag slow the oaramatwrs are all within normal according to lfs and no unfortunately there are no other local fish stores about London seems very lacking in that department and selection

the parameters are all within normal according to lfs

I hope you understand that this is not helpful to us at all when attempting to help you with a tank issue. The lfs should know better but, sadly, most don't.

absolutangel04 said:
Sorry, if this was said and I missed it, but how long have all the fish been in the tank? Any new arrivals?
I am sorry for our loss. I know it stinks when fish die.
I like the case file. It was very clever. :)

Edit: ok, so siva already asked. But its still important!

Lol I like to keep it fresh for everyone so a case file seemed funny they have been in the tank ( 1st five) for about a month and second 5 about 2 weeks

Ok, in that case, some of your issues could just be from bad stock. I agree with Lynda that knowing the exact parameters will tell us more though.

Sorry for the late reply I don't know my exact parameters I'll have to buy a test JO any decent fw ones out there

I wouldn't put it past the betta. Everyone likes to say that the females are less aggressive than the males and in some cases that is true, however we had one female that killed anything that was put in her tank; cories, snails, other females, and killing neons was her favorite pastime. After the murder she would swim with her kill in her mouth and shake it (like a darn great white with a seal) She even killed her male when I released her into their breeding tank. Funny turn of events that.

So, I'd say cuff your female betta and take her in for questioning. Look at her as a fish of interest in the case.

bruinsbro1997 said:
To be honest I don't think it's NTD. Usually people THINK it's NTD, when in reality it's just weak neon strains due to inbreeding. I have had more than my fair share of dead neon tetras, and usually I'd blame it one NTD, until I realized that there is no way they're getting NTD when parameters are fine and I am doing PWC every week.

However, if it's NTD, it'll probably die very soon. NTD affects most tetras, as well as some barbs and danios. There is no treatable cure for NTD, the only thing out there is doing PWC and hoping for the best. The thing to look for is them swimming sprial or upside down. That's how mine went.

Also, be careful of the betta and dwarf gourami. IME it has worked out, however that is the exception rather than the rule.

I agree with Bruinsbro it might not be NTD it could just be the way their bred. IME with these little guys was pretty much one died every month until I got sick of replacing them and now I choose to no longer keep them. I had the same experience with swordtails would lose 1 a month kept replacing until finally the last one died off and I'm no longer going to keep them either. It could be that someone else in the tank did attack them but if you never saw any aggression then I doubt that's what happened. Like Lynda said when other fish know or suspect another tank mate is ill or weak they will pick on them more and when they die they will consume or nibble on them that's just part of nature. I could always tell when one of my sword tails or neons where weak or sick because everything in the tank would start picking on it and sure enough in a day or two it would be dead! Good luck! :)

Just a quick update no other deaths so I thin it was just a weak strain I guess anyway thanks all for the advice on a random side note anyone know how to sex
Fire mouth chilids

Back
Top Bottom