The unexpected 10g journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maxwellag said:
Oh, then maybe I will use it, but the new tank's filter has carbon in it and there is no way to take it out other than to cut a whole new piece of filter floss.

Can't you just cut the pad off and throw the plastic part away? And isn't the cartridge brand new so you wouldnt be throwing and bb away, because you seeded it with something else right?

maxwellag said:
Oh, then maybe I will use it, but the new tank's filter has carbon in it and there is no way to take it out other than to cut a whole new piece of filter floss.

As I said its not needed. :) maybe you could return it and buy something else.

My brother is picky and won't let me cut the filter. I will just have to cut one of my pieces of filter floss and use that.

Can't you just cut the pad off and throw the plastic part away? And isn't the cartridge brand new so you wouldnt be throwing and bb away, because you seeded it with something else right?

Yeah I seeded with some bio pellets

I just walked by and looked at the tank... it's crystal clear now! there were a lot of black particles floating around. :)

i also started with this kit. right now i have a mae betta, harlequin rasboras, and otos and everything is perfect. what was your brother thinking of stocking?

i also started with this kit. right now i have a mae betta, harlequin rasboras, and otos and everything is perfect. what was your brother thinking of stocking?

He wants a balloon belly molly and some cories. I told him only one molly with other species and no cories unless pygmy cories.

He wants a balloon belly molly and some cories. I told him only one molly with other species and no cories unless pygmy cories.
yah more than one molly will would be way too much of a bioload for that size tank IMO. i think the "other species" should be chili rasboras. they would look great and, because of their size, you could probably put a good number of them in there too

Tcal01 said:
yah more than one molly will would be way too much of a bioload for that size tank IMO. i think the "other species" should be chili rasboras. they would look great and, because of their size, you could probably put a good number of them in there too

Actually, with this filter, it should be fine. A bio wheel can handle a pretty large amount. I could also just add more biological media to the filter... I was more concerned for the mollies size and swimming space needs than bioload. I don't think he wants chili rasboras... He has to be able to find them locally.

Aw what happened to the 10 gal being the betta tank? lol He might seem unhappy for a bit but he'll get used to it, it's much better for him than a 1 gal. A friend of mine had a betta in a 5 gal Chi for a while but then upgraded to a 7.5 gal for it. The fish threw a fit for a week, would hardly even eat, but now he's fine. Just give him time.

I'm pretty sure he loves it! He didn't freak out when put in the tank, and he stayed calm. He immediately took a breath from the surface and then blew a bubble. I think that means he's happy. I'm taking more pictures now.

maxwellag said:
Actually, with this filter, it should be fine. A bio wheel can handle a pretty large amount. I could also just add more biological media to the filter... I was more concerned for the mollies size and swimming space needs than bioload. I don't think he wants chili rasboras... He has to be able to find them locally.

Hmmm well I hope he finds something cool :)

I noticed that Flare really loves being in the 10g now... lol my brother admits it now. :) I started dosing melafix today, I started with 1/2 teaspoon.

I have not seen any improvement in his fins yet, but he is eating extremely well.

He has been improving a lot. I showed my brother pygmy cories and ember tetras, and he loves them. I think he might get some. :)

Just an update:
Flare the betta isn't well. He likely has swim blatter disease. He sits behind the volcano and when he tries to swim, he starts tipping to his side. I tried turning off the filter and he didn't change, so its not the flow.

Just an update:
Flare the betta isn't well. He likely has swim blatter disease. He sits behind the volcano and when he tries to swim, he starts tipping to his side. I tried turning off the filter and he didn't change, so its not the flow.

Aw sorry to hear that. What do you feed him, how much and how often? Bettas are prone to swim bladder. If he's eating, try feeding him a small piece of thawed, deshelled frozen pea if you have it (I microwave mine for a couple of minutes, take the skin off, break off a small piece or two and feed it to my betta). I also wouldn't feed him anything for a couple of days and see if he improves.

Back
Top Bottom