The unexpected 10g journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
librarygirl said:
Aw sorry to hear that. What do you feed him, how much and how often? Bettas are prone to swim bladder. If he's eating, try feeding him a small piece of thawed, deshelled frozen pea if you have it (I microwave mine for a couple of minutes, take the skin off, break off a small piece or two and feed it to my betta). I also wouldn't feed him anything for a couple of days and see if he improves.

He's not eating at all. I will try a frozen pea.

I have seen no improvement yet. I just did a 50% water change. I will (try to) get him to eat a pea.

I have the same tank...what is the gray handle part for on the filter? I have it raised but I noticed yours was closed...what does it do?

I have the same tank...what is the gray handle part for on the filter? I have it raised but I noticed yours was closed...what does it do?

It's just a little hatch you can open if you want it to suck water in that area. I think they intended for it to get the uneaten food but it is too short in my tank to catch any food. I just left it closed.

I hope the betta improves but just a tad bit of experience. Bettas dont care for moving water and in the wild are in small ponds and rice patties. They usually live in logs and such I wouldn't think that bubbling volcano (as cool as it looks) would make him happy. I could be wrong. Also back with the Mollie they usually are less stressed in groups of 3. All female or 1 male and 2 females and from experience lots of water changes are required in a 10g regardless of the filter. Cheers!

I hope the betta improves but just a tad bit of experience. Bettas dont care for moving water and in the wild are in small ponds and rice patties. They usually live in logs and such I wouldn't think that bubbling volcano (as cool as it looks) would make him happy. I could be wrong. Also back with the Mollie they usually are less stressed in groups of 3. All female or 1 male and 2 females and from experience lots of water changes are required in a 10g regardless of the filter. Cheers!

I know, I have researched them a lot. :) I made sure it wasn't the current from the filter (I turned off the filter for about an hour and saw no improvement). They don't live in logs in the wild, they live in rice beds in Asia. They usually live in the roots. The bubbling volcano doesn't affect how he feels, the only thing it does (other than look cool... lol) is provide more oxygen in the water. I don't have a molly, I am not sure where you are getting that from. I do a weekly 50% water change- it's a given that water changes are important on any tank. The betta used to live in a 1g with no filter or heater, and he had fin rot. After being in the 10g for a while, he started to heal and was acting a lot happier. This sickness came on suddenly, so I am not sure what it is.

maxwellag said:
He wants a balloon belly molly and some cories. I told him only one molly with other species and no cories unless pygmy cories.

That's to what I was referring to. Bettas don't only live in rice patties they also live in small ponds and love logs because it has plenty of bugs full of protein and protection from large fish.

Fish-For-Thought said:
That's to what I was referring to. Bettas don't only live in rice patties they also live in small ponds and love logs because it has plenty of bugs full of protein and protection from large fish.

Yes, but there are no other fish in the tank, and I'm not going to feed it bugs. Lol.

It's a miracle that he has managed to survive. He seemed to be getting better. He became active again, and was eating. But now his fins are torn up. They did seem to be healing well, though.

Fish-For-Thought said:
Bettas dont care for moving water and in the wild are in small ponds and rice patties. They usually live in logs and such I wouldn't think that bubbling volcano (as cool as it looks) would make him happy.

I have 2 male betta in a divided 10g. I have an air stone that spans the entire back wall. Both betta LOVE the bubbles. They go back and play in the bubbles on a reg basis. They will start at the bottom and let the bubbles push them up, they flare at the bubbles, or just swim through them. When they get tired they move to the front of the tank. The volcano is in the middle of the tank but there are other places the betta can go to get away from the water current it looks like. Betta are very adaptable, but at the same time, everything depends on the individual betta, lol.

Today I got a male and female mated pair of ADFs. Hopefully we have some eggs soon! The betta is pretty happy, although it is very lazy and usually justs sits in the plants all day. Pictures soon!

Here's a pic of one of them. The other was hiding in the mountain decoration.

EeCVibbe39YOEI4WPo1v3Kt6LVHCaUKWHUi-eZS5pAwMdjHqCSJSsn2RdCQ-3EowB2aw7e289Cs

Current full tank shot:

m36bwkw-ZP5BKDhBorpTiahIQ3U1kJBLTxjZ4bKvFVDW643Lh-8qApx4bOVtLv_pBws7_izLqyE

I need to clean the brown scum. lol.

Back
Top Bottom