The unexpected 10g journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
We were at petsmart, and some how I talked my brother into getting a 10g for his betta, who is currently in a one gallon. He got the Marineland kit that comes with an LED light, a bio wheel filter at 100gph, a 25w heater, some food, a net and some other stuff. I am going to instantly cycle it with some of my media. His betta currently has fun rot, but we just got some melafix for it. He also got black sand. Pictures to come! :)

We just finished setting up the tank. That black sand was really hard to clean. It made a weird oily residue on the tank's sides. After some observation, it seems that his betta prefers the one gallon. He has been in a ten gallon before. During that time, he didn't eat and was inactive. When in the one gallon, he eats well and swims a lot. We are still deciding, though. He says that if he doesn't put the betta in there, he wants to get multiple kinds of small fish. He really likes black balloon belly mollies and peppered corys. I told him that the molly would be ok but probably only one, with some other fish. I told him that the peppered cories get too big and need a group of 5 (which would already overstock the tank). I showed him pygmy cories and he said he didn't like those. He also doesn't like otos or dwarf otos. Do you guys have any ideas?

I just seeded the filter with some of my media and took a few pictures. The betta is going in tomorrow, but it might just be to see how he does. The second picture is with the blue moonlight on.

I started with that same exact kit! I loved it, great kit.

It's looking good :)

George9 said:
I started with that same exact kit! I loved it, great kit.

It's looking good :)

Thanks. :) my brother is satisfied with it, so far.

maxwellag said:
Thanks. :) my brother is satisfied with it, so far.

You shouldn't have many problems with it. Mine was still going after a year. Hopefully you can sort out the fin Rot in this new tank.

i see your heater is fully submerged this could turn into an issue as there is a water line on the heater right bellow the black part or atleast there isn on my 29 gallon tank ...just thought i would put my 2 cents in on a potentially dangerous issue

Isn't the line the minimum water level, not the maximum? I haven't had problems with that heater fully submerged.

I hope he decides to put his Betta in there! It will do wonders for the fin rot. :) Be careful dosing melafix on bettas. Use a 1/5 dose if you decide to use it. IMO/E the bigger tank with more water and a dose of salt will work better than the melafix. :)

i see your heater is fully submerged this could turn into an issue as there is a water line on the heater right bellow the black part or atleast there isn on my 29 gallon tank ...just thought i would put my 2 cents in on a potentially dangerous issue

I don't think there is a maximum water level... lol

I hope he decides to put his Betta in there! It will do wonders for the fin rot. :) Be careful dosing melafix on bettas. Use a 1/5 dose if you decide to use it. IMO/E the bigger tank with more water and a dose of salt will work better than the melafix. :)

Thanks... I was thinking that if we were going to treat the betta, we would put it in the 1g and treat it in there... that way we need less of it to dose, and it doesn't mess up a cycling tank.

maxwellag said:
I don't think there is a maximum water level... lol

That's what I meant lol. Snype2live was suggesting that the line was the max it should be submerged. But it is fully submersible

Edit-whoops lol I thought you quoted my post above about the heater. Nvm ;)

okay so im stupid i thought it was a maximum limit as the instructions that come with it say dont submerge it but then they put then min line right below the black part talk about not making any sence sorry guys

okay so im stupid i thought it was a maximum limit as the instructions that come with it say dont submerge it but then they put then min line right below the black part talk about not making any sence sorry guys

LOL it's fine, you were just trying to help

maxwellag said:
Thanks... I was thinking that if we were going to treat the betta, we would put it in the 1g and treat it in there... that way we need less of it to dose, and it doesn't mess up a cycling tank.

Melafix won't effect the filter in any way. Treating a cycled/cycling tank is fine.

Melafix won't effect the filter in any way. Treating a cycled/cycling tank is fine.

Oh, then maybe I will use it, but the new tank's filter has carbon in it and there is no way to take it out other than to cut a whole new piece of filter floss.

Back
Top Bottom