Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

The wonders of clean water

I have been a bit neglectful of the fish lately, been busy with family stuff, and I noticed last night that my betta's tail was all shredded at the ends and there were little bits of *cringing* fungus. I felt so BAD!! I totally cleaned the tank. Wiped down all the decorations, did a massive water change. It looks really spiffy in there now, and this morning, the fungus is gone. I will never doubt the power of a water change again. Now to get his fins all healed up. Should I add anything? Or can I let them heal on their own?

Old 03-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wanna hear something ridiculous? When I told my LFS that 3 out of four of my new pearl white angels weren't feeding, He told me I needed a water change. When I told him I do three a week and my nitrate was 5 or less, he told me my water was "too clean" and to skip a few water changes! Bah! And I had respected them until that.

He also added, " well, they were all eating for us...." Sure they were.

Old 03-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't be surprised if you have a little bit of trouble out of this. A lot of your bio filter was on the decorations and glass. The fish also acclimate to the poor water conditions over time and making that much of a change all at once can cause a minor shock to the bio filter and the fish themselves. Keep an eye on the ammonia and be ready for another water change if it gets too high.
http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Oh no, Meredith! I hope your dad is getting better.

I would just watch the betta for now. Clean water is the best remedy! When you cleaned, did you leave the filter alone?

I had a betta once that played in the bubbles from the sponge filter and tore his tail up a bit. I didn't treat with any med and he got better, since he really wasn't sick to begin with. So I would just keep up with water changes and that should be enough. My bettas' tails grew back with a clear "skin" binding the stringy edges together, and then the color came back. If this is what your betta looks like, I wouldn't worry. If his tail is still stringy or with black strings after a few days, then you may need to medicate.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just rinsed the filter media a little with dechlorinated water. There is filter floss and some old carbon in there, there is probably enough bacteria. His tail looks all ragged. No more fungus, but no signs of healing either. If I don't see any improvement with in the next few days, I may try some meds.

Tags
clean

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com