there has been tragedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went up to school for the night and came home just now to find out my heater had malfunctioned and heated my tank to over 120 degrees. All the inhabitants have perished. My mudskipper, f8 puffer, 7 BBGs (6 less than a month old), 1 flounder, 2 zebra nerites and several shrimp. I almost don't want to rebuild after this.
I'm also afraid of the tank cooling too fast and cracking. Anyone have any suggestions? I may just empty the tank an if it cracks it cracks atleast there won't be water in it.

Sorry for the error in the thread title but I'm a little grief stricken

I've read that its good to have 2 heaters, each half of what is necessary. Something to think about if you rebuild. :(

Tetra1990 said:
I'm soo sorry. Don't give up.

I bought the mudskipper last year and he was in the tank longer then any of the others. The place I got him from is no longer there and at this point to buy them offline it will cost me an arm and a leg. The puffer I got from a guy on here/puffer forum and he was a really nice guy and actually paid more to ship him to me safely then I paid him.

brennae said:
I've read that its good to have 2 heaters, each half of what is necessary. Something to think about if you rebuild. :(
If I rebuild I'm going to go bigger but it won't happen probably for a year cause I'll be away at school. My gf was going to take care of them while I was gone and she called them her babies.

I'm also afraid of the tank cooling too fast and cracking. Anyone have any suggestions? I may just empty the tank an if it cracks it cracks atleast there won't be water in it.

That really won't happen unless the glass was much hotter and the room was very cold. 120F is nothing for glass, and it will cool back down to room temp slowly.

Empty or full won't make a difference. Full is better as it will slow down the cooling quite a bit.

Just letting you know so that you don't worry about a broken tank on top of losing your fish.

The tank is a scratched up 29 gal and I emptied it and I'm going to sell it on craigslist

I think I'm going to eventually go with a 55 gal brackish. Get 6-8 dwarf Indian mudskippers, 2-3 figure 8 puffers, some monos and a swarm of BBGs.

Terrance said:
Sorry for your loss Homer.

Yea I'm going to be out of the fish game for awhile. I'll probably hang around reminiscing about the glory days.

Aetherbound said:
So sorry to read this :(

It's really weird not having them. I keep looking over to my tank and expecting my puff to be following me where ever I go.
I've read this happening to people but didn't think it would happen. My next tank will have every safety precaution possible.

herp_mommy said:
Was it a stealth heater by chance?

No I forget the brand and it's in the trash I will have to get it out so I know not to do that again. Do they have heater thermostats that turn the heater off if the heater were to malfunction?

Edit nvm I found this
http://www.aquacave.com/Finnex-MAX300-Heater-Controller-P3503C878.aspx

I'm thinking a nano reef. I don't have much space but I was thinking the nano cube 28 gal. I want the traditional beginner stuff. Anemone and clown fish. Is it possible with the nano cube?

I need to fill this void in my life.

Hi my name is Homer and I'm an aquarist. I've been fishless for 24 hours.

I am so very sorry darlin. Just hang in there and know you are among friends here, who truly understand your loss.

Back
Top Bottom