Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

there is a black substance on things in my tank

There is a black substance on my leaves, rocks and decoration in my 40B. The water parameters are all ok. What is this stuff and how do I get rid of it.

40g breeder with 4 Tequila Sunrise Guppy, 4 cory cats, 13 neon tetra's, 1 dwarf Gourami, planted with anubius and java fern, 36" 4-bulb Current Nova Extreme. 10g with a beautiful blue Crowntail Betta with blasting sand substrate. Also two cats who keep an eye on the tanks while licking their lips.
bobc4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like some sort of algae or diatom can you post a pic?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You need to post a picture as it could also be Cyanobacteria.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

picture of the black funk in my tank

I was finally able to get a pic of the black funk on my plants and rocks. I removed all the leaves which has this stuff on it. what is this an indication of? I change 50% water weekly even if the water parameters are good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black gunk.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	183693  
40g breeder with 4 Tequila Sunrise Guppy, 4 cory cats, 13 neon tetra's, 1 dwarf Gourami, planted with anubius and java fern, 36" 4-bulb Current Nova Extreme. 10g with a beautiful blue Crowntail Betta with blasting sand substrate. Also two cats who keep an eye on the tanks while licking their lips.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sorry I still can't tell from the pic's but tell me this... is it fuzzy and some in tufts or is it shiny and grows in sheets that you can almost peel off?
Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

no, it is not fuzzy, almost like paint and it won't rub off
Old 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The only thing that comes close to that is green spot algae. It is usually round circles of dark green algae that is so hard you often need a razor blade to remove it. I keep looking at the pic's and part of what I'm seeing on the leaf looks like some nutrient deficiencies. What type of plants do you have and what ferts are you using?

Are you able to remove the decorations? If so I can tell you how to treat them with Peroxide outside the tank to see if that helps. Also how long are you leaving lights on daily?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes I can remove the decorations. I am using Fluorish as a fert.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

First try running your lighting only 6 hours daily. Then remove the decorations, lay paper towels down in a sink, put the decorations on them and squirt them down with hydrogen peroxide. Use the peroxide wet paper towels to lay over the decorations and let sit for 20 minutes. Then just put them back in the tank, no rinsing needed. If it is a type of algae it will die off. If that doesn't work I don't know what to tell you.

You also need to put root tabs under any swords, crypts, or bulb plants and then get some Flourish Comprehensive and dose weekly after WC's. Your plants need some type of fertilization.

Tags
black, substance, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com