There is a spot on my Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, well I've still got plenty to learn. I have been serious about it for about three years. I'm sure there are plenty more things I need to learn but it's a rewarding hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A very rewarding hobby, and i don't mean to sound mean, just trying to help in the long run. Everyone on here has made plenty of mistakes. And in the beginning i definitely overstocked and made a whole lot of other mistakes too. There is no one here who hasn't made any mistakes. everybody here is speaking mostly from experience, and overstocking like that makes it very difficult to keep water parameters in check and that doesn't even include the space for the fish

Well just so you know. Unless you got something like piranhas that shred their food everywhere, pleco's are one of the "dirtiest" fish you can own. The bigger it is, the more bioload it has. A common pleco can get up to 24 inches long. that's one of those you see in a monster aquarium.

I'm just giving fair warning that he will keep growing.

The rainbow shark CAN work in your tank. They max at about 7 inches. Just use caution because they are territorial and best of kept the ONLY shark in the tank. I had one of these in a 45 and quickly realized the mistake I made because mine claimed my castle as his and anything that went in it came out with shredded fins.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

No I appreciate all the info I'm not offended in any way. I didn't realize the Pleco produced so much waste, but it makes since. Plants break down and use the waste correct? I do add water in pretty frequent and large quantity. The current aquarium is pretty new and not much waste build up yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Google: "plecostomus waste"

You will quickly realize the horror that these things have become. I'm not dissing pleco's I love the small ones, but LFS sell the regular ones as algae eaters to unsuspecting people and before they know it They got a giant poop machine in their tank. The best thing you can do you for yours is keep up with vacuuming and water changes.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I've got a Pleco that is 8.5 inches long in a 55 gal tank. I got him from my mother in law who had him in a 29 gal tank and had him since he was very small...he's close to 10 years old now. From my experience, if you over feed him he will produce ALOT of waste, the one I've got literally decorated my tank with it...but when I cut back on his feed, the waste decreased. Just my experience with them.

And about the shark, my mother in law has a red fin shark (just one). do they get territorial? Hers seems peaceful toward her other fish..

I've got a Pleco that is 8.5 inches long in a 55 gal tank. I got him from my mother in law who had him in a 29 gal tank and had him since he was very small...he's close to 10 years old now. From my experience, if you over feed him he will produce ALOT of waste, the one I've got literally decorated my tank with it...but when I cut back on his feed, the waste decreased. Just my experience with them.

And about the shark, my mother in law has a red fin shark (just one). do they get territorial? Hers seems peaceful toward her other fish..

Probably a red tailed shark. They are the same as rainbows as they can be sorta docile or territorial nightmares.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom