There's a bug in my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking at my 75g planted today and I saw this strange creature sitting on a leaf. At first I thought it was one of my amano shrimps because it was all clear, but on closer inspection I realized that it definitely wasn't a shrimp. I googled aquatic insects and found a pic that looks a lot like the bug that's in my tank:

pantalalarvae.jpg

I tried to use my fish net to get it out but the thing runs/swims really fast and ends up hiding in the thick plant growth. Should I be worried at all? Could this insect do any harm to my fish or shrimps?

That looks like it could be it. Did you recently get any new plants? Could have had some eggs on the new plants. About the only harm they do is eat other insects and larvae. No problems to the plants or fish. Keep an eye on him. You might end up with a pet dragonfly. :)

Lonewolfblue said:
That looks like it could be it. Did you recently get any new plants? Could have had some eggs on the new plants. About the only harm they do is eat other insects and larvae. No problems to the plants or fish.

I did get some new plants about two months ago. I have to agree that there must have been some eggs on the plants. There's no other way it could have gotten in my tank. I'm glad to hear that it won't do any harm to the community :)

Lonewolfblue said:
Keep an eye on him. You might end up with a pet dragonfly. :)
lol I can't wait :D

Dragonfly nymphs are very predacious. What other tank occupants do you have? It may be able to eat smaller fish and fry.

Apocalypse_Gold said:
Dragonfly nymphs are very predacious. What other tank occupants do you have? It may be able to eat smaller fish and fry.

The fish that I have in there right now are Hatchet fish and Otos.

Here's a better pic of what the nymph in my tank looks like:

dhxhdhihahmhpz0lohslbzehyh5lvz.jpg

They’re exactly the same except the one in my tank is almost completely transparent.

How big do you think they get?

I was also planning on putting some guppies in there (one of them is a baby). Is this a good idea right now?

8O

Here is a link I found: http://www.bugsurvey.nsw.gov.au/html/popups/bpedia_08_tol_dr-ny-a.html

This article confirms what Apocolypse Gold says, that they are predacious. Don't put any guppy fry in your tank with this nymph still in it.

The article says that the nymph will molt several times before climbing out of the water and molting again to become an adult. It's fun to experiment in our tanks at times, but IMO this is not one of those times! If this was my tank I'd get it out as soon as possible. The article also says that they have a sharp lower mandible to catch prey, and it's possible it could bite you. Be careful!

An t-iasg said:
8O

Here is a link I found: http://www.bugsurvey.nsw.gov.au/html/popups/bpedia_08_tol_dr-ny-a.html

This article confirms what Apocolypse Gold says, that they are predacious. Don't put any guppy fry in your tank with this nymph still in it.

The article says that the nymph will molt several times before climbing out of the water and molting again to become an adult. It's fun to experiment in our tanks at times, but IMO this is not one of those times! If this was my tank I'd get it out as soon as possible. The article also says that they have a sharp lower mandible to catch prey, and it's possible it could bite you. Be careful!

Well I finally managed to capture the nymph. I don’t know what I’m going to do with it though. I wouldn’t mind seeing it become a dragon fly lol. I’ll keep it in a jar for now.

I can’t believe that I had a dragonfly nymph in my tank. I’m hoping that there was only one. It might actually explain why one of my otos had the bottom half of it’s tail bitten off (which has now almost completely grown back). I know my hatchet fish wouldn’t do that something like that so I guess it had to be the nymph. I’m surprised that the eggs of a dragonfly could have survived all the shipping.

lovemybarbs said:
I'm never putting live plants in my tank........EVER! That's just gross. No offense. Yikes.

LMAO!! Live plants are the best!

I definitely learned a lesson today, and that’s to thoroughly check my newly bought plants for predatory dragonfly nymphs lol……

you could probably feed a blood worm to keep it from staving, and fill the jar half way and put a twig in there for when it grows into a dragonfly. I must say i do enjoy dragonflys. I used to catch them alot when i was younger. My house has cat tail feild right next to it, so we always get dragon flys in the summer.

That is pretty sweet...I've never seen that before. I'm suprised your fish didn't snatch him up early on and have a nice little snack. Keep us posted if it continues to grow in its new home.

OH man! That is a creepy looking bug. I would have freaked OUT if that were in my tank. Good job on catching it :D

I have to agree with Meredith. That is a gross looking bug! I love dragon flies but that is not something I'd want in my tank.

Are you sure it isn't mosquito larva? They have the same stages as dragonflies almost ._. If it is a dragonfly that would be awesome though! ...just until it was full grown and you had lots of dragonflies in your house >__< as a bug lover (kinda) I still agree with the others, that looks gross...almost like a louse ._.

Puriti said:
Are you sure it isn't mosquito larva? They have the same stages as dragonflies almost ._. If it is a dragonfly that would be awesome though! ...just until it was full grown and you had lots of dragonflies in your house >__< as a bug lover (kinda) I still agree with the others, that looks gross...almost like a louse ._.

For what it counts, I am positive. Mosquito larvae are tubular "snorkel"-respirators which float about the water's surface - and do not possess recognizable limbs.

Back
Top Bottom