theres mystery attacker in my tank :O

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virus

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi everybody,
i was browsing abound my fishtank and i saw that my newest fish, which is supposed to be a long finned dannio, and i saw it swimming around, with almost no tail left! what i have in my 29 gal tank :
1 blue gourami 5 inches
6 zebra danios 1-1.5 inch each
1 sailfin molly 1.5 inch
1 cobolt blue crayfish, or mini lobster or somthing 2 inch

it has duckweed and hornwort it has sand for bottom and 150w jager heater and a penguin biowheel

probally the lobser, 2nd the blur gourami and the rest should be peaceful. but the gourami couldnt take off a whole tail so it had to be the crayfish

I would agree with krap and vote for the crayfish. They tend to get fish when the fish aren't paying attention, especially at night.

If you don't see any of the other fish nipping at the danios then you can safely bet on the crayfish.

I third the comment about the crayfish. They are best set up in a species tank for this reason alone. They go into scavenger mode at night time, and your small little danio probably looked a bit too good.

hmmm well it did happen overnight.....but hes only like one and a half inch long i mean not for THAT much damage, i mean it looks mutilated likealmost no tail at all,

well i have a quck question, can a crayfish go coldwater? or is it stricktly tropical which i think it is..... casue i wont be able to get a tank, and i have a 70-litre rubbermaid tank tub no heater so i need imput and he looks like hes not that fast of a guy!

Actually, most crayfish do much better WITHOUT a heater. I would move the crayfish into a 5 gal or larger container with a filter before he finishes what he started! 8O You can try adding MelaFix and doing daily water changes until your danio heals.

hmm ive never had this go that far, but im guessing if it was bitten past the base of the tail i doubt the tail will grow back. like if its just fin i think it'll grow but the.. yeah..

and yes most crayfish are coldwater. and yes to they do better in cold water. just curious, do you have plants? or some way for the crayfish to climb on? because ive never seen a danio go that far down

yes i have plants and its a 29 gallon so theres alot of room to run but im going to try to get a pic with my friends camera to show u guys, but are you guys SURE that it is cold water, cuz i dont want it to be miserable or die!! :GASP: so please give more info and later ill make another topic extending this

your lucky the cray hasnt torn up your plants and killed several fish by now.. I'm seconding OTOFFER's advice and get a 5 gallon tank for the crayfish..

My crayfish shredded up some Java fern and Java moss. He didn't eat it, he just shred it up for the sheer joy of vandalism! :roll: Yet another reason to provide your cray with a home of his own. Crayfish don't actively hunt fish, but they consider anything in the field of view that they can catch edible. In the small confines of a fish tank, they are certain to get lucky sooner or later and impale one of your favorite fish.

Back
Top Bottom