Thermometer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just set up my 3-gal tank for a fry tank, and probably sometime next week or so, I will be getting some red cherry shrimp for it. My albino cory cats are preparing to lay eggs. One of them is fattening up nicely, and they continuously "assume the position" but have yet to actually mate yet. They were acting like they would last night for a while, but never actually did. No eggs yet, but soon.

My 3-gal is plastic I believe, or very similar to it. If it helps, it is a Tetra Bubbling LED Kit, 3 gallon half moon. The thermometer at Walmart last night was one that sticks onto the side of the tank. I have one that suctions to the inside wall in my 10-gal, which I like better, but Walmart did not have any at the time. All they had were the ones that stick onto the outside. It's black and is almost like thick tape that has a green bar where the temperature is.

My question is about this thermometer. The package it came in said to stick it on the side of the glass. The tank it is on is plastic. I do not believe it is reading wrong, and have never had a problem with them before, but I was wondering, do they really have to be on glass to work properly? Do I need to stick it onto my 10-gal and put the other one in the 3-gal, or should it be fine the way it currently is?

At the moment, it says my fry tank is 76 degrees, and it has stayed steady there since last night.

Thank you for your help.

No not totally but removing it may be an issue. I would recomend that u put the glass one in the 3 gal to be safe.

So even though it says glass, it doesn't matter which it is on? I will gladly leave it there. I just need to know for sure whether it's okay or whether it can't read the temp. right through the plastic.

So even though it says glass, it doesn't matter which it is on? I will gladly leave it there. I just need to know for sure whether it's okay or whether it can't read the temp. right through the plastic.
Its not the material, its how well the material can transfer the heat/cold through it. Might give slight false readings because of plastics temperature capacity, but nothing serious enough to harm you're judging.

Good Luck!

I've had that exact same kit from Walmart, the provided thermometer works fairly well, maybe slightly inaccurate but most stick on ones are, no big deal and don't worry about it. It's a good kit for fry and shrimp

Back
Top Bottom