These are a few of my fav fish - stocking 30 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 30 gal (36L x 12W x 18H) is cycling and I'm starting to think about stocking.

I've made a list of the fish I'd most want and want suggestions on how to narrow this list down to a nice peaceful community (also need advices on how many of each species). I've listed them in preference order (most wanted at the top).

Any suggestions are trully appreciated.

* Male Betta (I love the crowntails but heard they are more aggressive)
* Fancy Guppies (a mix of males & females assuming I have a carnivore to keep the fry population down)
* Bosemani Rainbowfish
* Giant Danio
* Neon Tetras (assuming I have enough to make a school)
* Clown Loach
* Sunburst Platy or Marigold Twin Bar Swordtail
* Glowlight Danio
* Longfin Blue Danio

I'd like as many of the above species as possible (ie: if its ok to have just one of a species I'd go that route).

Any help is appreciated since I know I'll never make up my mind on my own LOL :p

JoAnn

I would not mix a betta with guppies. The betta may mistake the guppy for another betta. The Bosemani Rainbowfish does best when in schools. Due to this, I would now house them in anything under 55 gal. Also, the clown loach will grow far too big for a 30 gal tank.

The Danios, Platy, Swordtail, and Tetras are doable together.

i second what fishyfanatic says 100%. the betta will go for the guppies, if not the others too. and rainbows usually like to be in at least a group of 3 or 4, but more is better i suppose. clown loach yo would need about a 55 at least i think.
and everything else is good together i think too.

one more reason for not getting the betta tho, is that all the little fish might nip at its fins, because theyr'e long and stuff.

Look at the Yo-yo loach. It doesn't grow as big as the clown loach. I have however noticed one particular yoyo nipping my guppies fins. I haven't witnessed it firsthand, but I'm pretty sure the same yoyo is eating guppy fry!

Yep, yo yos are awesome. I have 3 myself and they are so entertaining. They can be a little aggressive like bzbee says, though, so I would watch out with guppies. Betta and guppies are definitely out. I've witnessed it firsthand and it isn't pretty.

Did you mean glofish (genetically modified danios) or glowlight tetras? I've never kept danios of any variety, but glowlight tetras are great and much more hardy than neons. Colorful too.

I've heard so many mixed messages on the betta + guppy combo. My tank has a row of assorted 9 in high "rock/cave wall" ornaments running about 6 inches deep just about the full length of the tank. I was hoping that perhaps with all the visual and physical barriers that I could get away with it - guess not.

Thanks for the suggestion of the yo yo loaches - they're cute too - do they make the same "puppy piles" that clown loaches make ?

What is the number of rainbowfish needed for them to school ?
How many neon tetras ?

ps - I'm getting the betta - After reading so much I've gotten my heart set on it - so 'll be getting him his own tank (that was a fast case of MTS !!!!)

Thanks again !!!
JoAnn

Your Rainbows,danios,tetras and loaches like to be in groups. But are mixable like you could have several different danios or rainbows or tetras probably the best way to go would be to pick one or two familys of fish and stick with them. And do your home work if you like a certain type of fish get the name commen or scientific and google it and see what you come up with. HTH. Oh and the danios and rainbows are IMO more active and less combative than some of the tetras. If you are considering rainbows reseach the diferent ones I know that alot of the rainbows prefer a larger tank(longer than deeper or wider). You could go with several different danios about 5-7 all together depending on wich ones you pick and then do a small school of larger tetras (serpea,black skirt or somthing similar) then do your loaches 3-5(yo-yos,botia,Kuhli or some other smaller type) then your betta as your centerpeice fish. Just remember reserch and ask questions and you will end up with a happier tank. Good luck.

I agree with Brant about the rainbows. They prefer longer tanks over a taller one. That's why I recommend a 55 gal. And it is a great idea to have the Betta in its own tank. Are you thinking about a 5 gal?

Ok - going back to my original list and taking in all the great feedback, does this work ?

* Fancy Guppies (a mix of males & females assuming I have a carnivore to keep the fry population down) x 8
* Giant Danio x 2
* Neon Tetras (assuming I have enough to make a school) x 6
* Sunburst Platy or Marigold Twin Bar Swordtail x 3
* Glowlight Danio x 2
* Longfin Blue Danio x 2

And of course I have even more questions :)

Can I add 2 mystery snails to this to keep the tank bottom clean ?

Can I have more males guppies than females (was thinking 5 males, 3 females)

Are 6 neon tetra enough to form a school ?

and the worst part .....
I was on a few websites and decided that gouramis are really pretty also. So I've come up with an alternative !

* Giant Danio x 2
* Fancy guppies x 8 or 9
* Male dwarf gourami x 1
* Male red/gold honey dwarf gourami x 1
* Male Opaline gourami x 1

What about that mix ? I remember having a really mean pearl gourami way back when so I'm a little leery (LOL leery / leeri .... I made myself laugh) of gouramis and don't know if I should be.

Thanks again - you folks are the best !!!

JoAnn

I'd avoid having more males than female guppies. Right now I have 2 males and 1 female and the two males harass her CONSTANTLY....I mean it...they never, ever stop. I need to change this soon! I would either get all males, or make sure you have 1 more female than males so that someone gets left alone at least part of the time.

Not sure if all the different gouramis will get along together. I'm not a gourami expert so someone else will have to chime in on this.

Any schooling fish such as danios or tetras will be much happier in a larger group. With 2 danios they may not act as normally. I originally had a school of 6 diamond tetras and they would school together and display to each other. Now I'm down to one and he just mopes around.

Oh, and kudos on working this out in advance! you'll be happier with your tank this way!

I would do a pair of gouramis, a large school of tetras or a small school of tetras and a small school of danios and a school of cory cats to keep the bottom clean.

joannde said:
* Fancy Guppies (a mix of males & females assuming I have a carnivore to keep the fry population down) x 8
* Giant Danio x 2
* Neon Tetras (assuming I have enough to make a school) x 6
* Sunburst Platy or Marigold Twin Bar Swordtail x 3
* Glowlight Danio x 2
* Longfin Blue Danio x 2

And of course I have even more questions :)

Can I add 2 mystery snails to this to keep the tank bottom clean ?

Can I have more males guppies than females (was thinking 5 males, 3 females)

Are 6 neon tetra enough to form a school ?

and the worst part .....
I was on a few websites and decided that gouramis are really pretty also. So I've come up with an alternative !

* Giant Danio x 2
* Fancy guppies x 8 or 9
* Male dwarf gourami x 1
* Male red/gold honey dwarf gourami x 1
* Male Opaline gourami x 1

What about that mix ?

I'd suggest against the giant danios. They get fairly large and need a long tank, as do the rainbows.
6 neon tetras should be fine. They should be the last fishes added though, as they are known to be a little fragile.
Platies and/or swords would be fine.
The other types of danios would be fine as well, but they like to school in groups of 5 or more.
I think the mystery snails would be ok but I'm not sure if they are one of the snails that breed like crazy?
You should have 2-3 females per male guppy. However, it would be better to get all of just one of the sexes, unless you want millions of guppies. :)
IME mixing dwarf gouramis with the larger ones can be a disaster. The best bet (most of the time) with gouramis is to just get one of them. In general, labrynth fish (not all) are territorial with each other.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with the guppies ! Originally I wanted a betta in the tank and figured he'd eat the fry. Many people cautioned against the bettta / guppy combo. First I dropped the guppies in favor of the betta. Then I went full circle and decided on the guppies - but forgot that I no longer had my predator !!!

I saw some dwarf rainbowfish today (called "dwarf neon rainbows") that only get to 3" so I think those should be do-able; I've nixed the giant danios also.

Sometimes I think its a GOOD thing that my cycle is taking longer than I want - all this time to research and decide. Then I think its AWFUL that my cycle is taking longer than I want - so much time to change my mind ! LOL

Back
Top Bottom