These are queer lil' things...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zephyr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have these strange white things inhabiting my 10 gallon aquarium. From the side they appear to have a 'flattened cone shell' and I'm fairly certain they are snails. The largest measures approx. 3 milimeters. The are mainly on the glass, though I have seen a couple on the plants. There is no plant damage, and they appear to be devouring my slight algae problem :lol:
I am just curious on what they are, and I have no intentions of getting rid of them bacause I like them. Also, how could they have got into my tank? The last time i bought plants or fish was a couple of months ago, and they only just appeared about 4 days ago. Also I have seen a couple of snails with elongated cone shells'. What would they be, they appeared about yesterday.
Any advice will be immensely appreciated.
thanx Justin

why they hell did it beep out queêr!? thats a bit silly i rekon, oh well, just wanted to make sure none of yous thought i was swearing!

Sure sounds like snails, most likely Malasian Trumpet snails. the frequntly bury themselves in the gravel and only come out at night, so you may have had them but didn't know it.

Q u e e r = homosexual here in the states, we don't want to offend anyone, so I assume it's on the list of bleep words.

Im not, but my boyfriend is :p . ... hey wait, there is nothing wrong if he used the word quee*, hes from a diff. country, break the barrier for gods sake, its not like he used it derogatorily. and if he did, i would break some legs, or at least call uncle guiseppe to do it 8)

OK, back to the snails. as i re-read your post, They could be either malaysian trumpet snails, or common pond snails, need a pic to be sure. the malaysians are good guys, let them be, the pond snails could be troblesome, they are known to munch on plants, but not always.

omg, u are a *beep* ming
If you are only gonna say stupid *beep* then *beep* off.

edited by michealprater, lets keep it clean please.

zephyr said:
omg, u are a *beep* ming
If you are only gonna say stupid *beep* then *beep* off.

edited by michealprater, lets keep it clean please.

I have to agree, whether you agree or disagree with the opinion, there is no reason to belittle anyone.

I have to agree, whether you agree or disagree with the opinion, there is no reason to belittle anyone
Everyone: Yeh, sorry, shouldn't have. But that really is not an opinion. You just let him get away with saying unrelevent things that annoy people.
Vicshaw: MATURITY!

yikes. this became a somewhat heated topic thread. (if you are in australia wouldnt this site be something like .co.au or .co.uk instead of .com? i didnt know people from other countries often frequented the .com's.....but anyway) yeah, i got a kind warning about a site link that i had posted in my profile. they just want to keep the site kid friendly. afterall, the site has to do with fish, not Ariel taking off her seashells if you know what i mean. lol. Anyway, those sure sound a bit like snails, although not knowing much about aquatics and not having any pics to go by, it does make it a bit tough to identify.

zephyr said:
I have these strange white things inhabiting my 10 gallon aquarium

zephyr said:
I am just curious on what they are,

Vicshaw said:
I think they might be garden snails

IMO, his response was to you original post, and was completely relevant. Now let's get this back on topic. Can you get us a pic of the critters in question? I agree it sounds like snails, but without a pic it is difficult to be certain.

I agree it sounds like malaysian trumpets. I have them in my planted tanks. They came in on plant material. They are quite benificial not just for algea control, but when they burrow in during the day, they help stir up the substrait. And lots of the tiny ones are eaten by the fish. So it's a live food source, that needs no maintenance. As to the Q word, it is so rediculous the things we do in the name of politically correctness. That word meant "odd" long before it meant homosexual. And it was used in that context. What's next we won't be able to say *beep*, oops too late.

Snails can be alright, but they reproduce like mad. They will help with the algae situation but leave their slime behind. For algae i suggest a pleco. but hey, if your having no problems with the snails, go for it. If they do become a problem though, there are fish you can look into that should eat the snails.

IMO, his response was to you original post, and was completely relevant.
His response was that he thought they were garden snails. You know, the brown ones that are NOT aquatic. Grow up vicshaw.

Are have been reading up on snails, and i'm certain they are malaysian trumpets, but what i am really pondering is the other snails i described in my first post. Any ideas what they are?
On a lighter note, yesterday i went to a farm and got to drive for the first time, shoot for the first time and ride horses.

What does IMO stand for? I keep seeing this expression and don't have a clue what it means!

Back
Top Bottom